Thumbnail Image Quality

Jump to solution
10-24-2016 10:27 AM
EthanUnzicker1
New Contributor III

I've created a Shortlist Story map and I notice the image quality of the thumbnails is terrible. Like, unusable. The thumbnails were generated automatically by the Story Map builder from the original images.

What's the best way to go about using a higher resolution thumbnail images?

Link to WIP 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
EthanUnzicker1
New Contributor III

I ended up just replacing all of the images within the App Builder by hosting new images on my web server and using their URLs. I still don't know why the app-generated thumbnails were so bad.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Hi Ethan,

What source are your images from? Are you using a service like Flickr?

Also, you may want to word this as a Question versus a discussion.

0 Kudos
EthanUnzicker1
New Contributor III

The images are hosted in My Content within my ArcGIS account.

I opted to open a discussion as I'm not sure what the source of this issue is. I feel like the answer may not be straightforward and there may be multiple solutions.

0 Kudos
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Hi Ethan

The Shortlist app you linked to is a customization of the Shortlist that you have created. The thumbnails do look stretched in your customization. However if I look at the hosted Shortlist app that is displayed by your customization, the thumbnails look OK:
http://ecgisab.maps.arcgis.com/apps/Shortlist/index.html?appid=b8d0e8bea0a24152bb472b3ab9540a59 

Ruperrt

EthanUnzicker1
New Contributor III

I did customize the size of the thumbnails, however i did not alter the images' aspect ratios at all. The images are being displayed as a background-image and I simply changed the value of background-size to "cover". 

I followed the link you attached the thumbnails are very poor quality in that instance as well. See attached screenshot.Poor Image Quality of Thumbnails

Here is a link to the generated thumbnail directly from the feature layer: http://services3.arcgis.com/r00vmm8eIzAwdHlO/arcgis/rest/services/Images/FeatureServer/0/2/attachmen... 

You can see that thumbnail that is generated by the app is extremely pixelated and unusable.

0 Kudos
EthanUnzicker1
New Contributor III

I ended up just replacing all of the images within the App Builder by hosting new images on my web server and using their URLs. I still don't know why the app-generated thumbnails were so bad.

0 Kudos