Analyzing Read-Only Fields

10-25-2016 11:39 AM
JaromHlebasko
Occasional Contributor III

Hello, I've stumbled across an issue where I have a survey that requires a barcode scan for the user to perform. I have setup the scan to input text in 7 different fields. The feature is working perfectly but I do have those fields set up as read-only so the user cannot change what the barcode scans. I wanted to analyze the results and noticed that the Analyze page of the Survey123 Website did not analyze my read-only fields.  Just to test the functionality, I made one of the fields not read-only, scanned the qr code and lo and behold, the analyze portion of the website included that changed field. This is a crucial part of the survey is to analyze the barcode scans. Any thoughts?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
ZhifangWang
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Jarom Hlebasko

Thanks for the feedback! Unfortunately, you're hitting a "bug" of the Survey123 website, we currently only hide all read-only questions from the Analyze page.

For us to fix this better, would you mind to share your thoughts about how would you like to view the results of a barcode question? Due to the barcode answers are strings indeed, so currently we can only display the results of a barcode question the same way as text question, which means it would be word cloud chart. Would that be meaningful to a barcode question?

0 Kudos
KylePyne
New Contributor III

I wanted to add my input, as I also need this feature.

On a side note, I am needing a different value to populate in the read only fields. For example: Barcode = abcd where fields would populate "Alfa", "Bravo", "Charlie", and "Delta".

I need this to occur on the survey, not in post processing.

I have a work around using choice lists but it is not auto populating and must be selected by the user.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
ZhifangWang
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Kyle,

Answers to read-only questions will show up on the Analyze page from 2.1 release, which planned in late May/early June.

• Note: only read-only question with calculation set will show up on the Analyze page due to read-only question without a calculation will not generate a field in the behind feature service
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Kyle,

On your population of fields- did you find a successful implementation?  It's a little unclear how many field(s) you are intending to populate; the core of the answer would be to use a series regex() functions to see if the value is present and also if() statements to provide the value if the regex returns true.

0 Kudos