Is it possible to use the pulldata() function to fill in questions from the previous survey entry?

10-25-2016 10:15 AM
JonathanPendleton
New Contributor III

Hello,

I have a very large survey I am working on. Once one survey entry has been filled out, only about 50% of the questions are going to need to be changed on the following survey entries. Is it possible to use the pulldata() function in order to pull data from a previous survey entry to the new/next survey entry? This would be so the user would only need to fill out the questions that actually need changing. Basically I just need answers to carry over from the previous survey entry to the new/next survey entry. Is this possible? This would drastically reduce the time needed to complete each survey.

Before anyone suggests the default answer function I am fully aware of that function and how to use it. However, I need the answers to the questions to be exactly the same as the answers on the previous survey entry. So default answers do not work for my needs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Jonathan Pendleton

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Jonathon,

In terms of pulling information in from a previous survey, we support a 'favorite answers' feature to store often-used values: Prepopulate answers—Survey123 for ArcGIS | ArcGIS 

If this is a mostly connected environment, you can also create a new survey based off of a survey in the 'Sent' box - click on the survey in the 'Sent' box and it will prompt you to confirm you want to create a new survey with this data.

James

JonathanPendleton
New Contributor III

This helps a little bit. I was not aware you could do this. It's unfortunate that it can only be done from the "sent" surveys menu and not from the "outbox". In order to send a survey it requires an internet connection. We seldom have internet while we are collecting survey data. It would be nice if we could just have previous answers to questions be persistent to the next survey.

0 Kudos
JonathanPendleton
New Contributor III

I found a solution to my issue. You can basically do what I needed to do with the "Set as favorite answers" option. You fill in the answers you want to carry over to the next survey. Hit the "Set favorite answers" button. Then on the new survey hit the "Paste favorite answers" button. Worked like a charm for me. Covers my basic need to carry over answers.