Storymap Shortlist deleting entries

Jump to solution
10-26-2016 06:05 AM
Anikade_Koster
New Contributor

Hello, 

I've encountered the issue that the entries I've made on different tabs than the one that opens automatically will suddenly completely wipe themselves. This happened yesterday morning (on the second tab 81 entries were lost, on the third 31) and I decided to recover them by manually reinserting them. But now just shortly after I've finished, these two tabs (except Tab 1) were completely wiped again, leaving not a single marker, description or anything. 

I wonder what could be the cause of this? 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MarkCooney
Occasional Contributor III

Apologies again for the issue.  After doing lots of digging, I have been able to reproduce and diagnose the problem, which is a bug on our side.  Unfortunately this fix will not show up until our next release (early December), but a work around is available.  

Workaround:

1.  Open the web map used in the Shortlist app in the ArcGIS online web map viewer.

2.  Click 'Share' button, then 'Create a web App' button.

3.  Pick the Shortlist app.

4.  The Shortlist will then launch in a mode that will allow you to use your existing Shortlist point layer as the data source.  The app will copy the web map to a new web map, preserving all of the work you did in adding places and all of its information.  You should then be able to continue adding places successfully.  

We hope this is a reasonable solution to your problem and does not eat up anymore of your time.  Let us know if you have any issues with this work around and we will do our best to get you back on track.

-Mark

View solution in original post

7 Replies
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Hi Anika

Sorry about the issue.

First thing to check is do the places you added have names, images (both thumbnail and main image) and are they located on the map. The Shortlist viewer hides places that aren't completely specified, but you will seem them in the Builder. So you can see places in the Builder that you won't see out of the Builder. Also don't forget that in the Builder you see all places, irrespecitive of your map's current extent. But in the viewer, the tabs only show the places in the current extent by default. 

If that isn't the issue could you let us know:

1. Are you creating your Shortlist from scratch or did create your Shortlist from a web map?

2. If you created from a web map, did you import point layer(s) features from that web map?

3. How are you manually adding places to your Shortlist? From Flickr pics for example?

4. Can you post the URL of the web map used in your Shortlist (it will have Shortlist Builder in its name), and if you created from a web, can you post the URL of that map too (if public)

5. Can you post the URL of your Shortlist app (if public)

Rupert

0 Kudos
Anikade_Koster
New Contributor

Hello Rupert, 

Thanks for answering.
The problem I have is that they suddenly disappear from the builder view as well. Only the first tab seems to be safe from this problem.

1. I've created one from scratch, though I added two layers to the webmap that is used. 
3. Yes: I don't use the import function; I place all the markers and add the information myself, and I link to picture URLs 
4. http://arcg.is/2dKIBuZ  
5. http://arcg.is/2cDAwb1  

Anika 

0 Kudos
MickiBurton
New Contributor II

I've had the same problem (though on a much smaller scale) with a few map items disappearing. I added many of them via map layers, but also did a fair number by hand. I've manually re-entered them and so far it's been fine. I'm also using URLs for pictures and filling in descriptions and locations completely.

However, now I'm having an issue where I need to add three more points and they won't show up in the public view of my map, even though they do in the Builder. Any ideas what could be the issue?

This is the map where the points came from... though the issue is not with those, but instead with the points I'm trying to add manually in the Builder: http://arcg.is/2f4YTwG 

This is the Short List map: http://arcg.is/2eRMNGA

0 Kudos
MarkCooney

Apologies again for the issue.  After doing lots of digging, I have been able to reproduce and diagnose the problem, which is a bug on our side.  Unfortunately this fix will not show up until our next release (early December), but a work around is available.  

Workaround:

1.  Open the web map used in the Shortlist app in the ArcGIS online web map viewer.

2.  Click 'Share' button, then 'Create a web App' button.

3.  Pick the Shortlist app.

4.  The Shortlist will then launch in a mode that will allow you to use your existing Shortlist point layer as the data source.  The app will copy the web map to a new web map, preserving all of the work you did in adding places and all of its information.  You should then be able to continue adding places successfully.  

We hope this is a reasonable solution to your problem and does not eat up anymore of your time.  Let us know if you have any issues with this work around and we will do our best to get you back on track.

-Mark

MickiBurton
New Contributor II

Props to you, Mark! Looks like worked! Thank you for your help.

CherylHagevik
Esri Contributor

Hi Mark,

Was this issue able to be fixed in the December release? I may be seeing something similar where I configure several tabs, then I come back to the application and only the first tab is able to load. What was the cause of the issue?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
MarkCooney

Hi Cheryl,

We were able to fix an issue related to some problems reported here, but its possible there is another issue floating around with places disappearing.  We have not been able to properly reproduce or diagnose, and are asking those who may be experiencing this to contact support to better document the possible issue.

-Mark

0 Kudos