Link data view with layout

Jump to solution
10-27-2016 06:25 AM
LizDaRos
Occasional Contributor

Having trouble trying to link my data view with the data map frame in the layout. I want to have the same extent and/or same center in the layout map frame as the data view. Kind of like how it works in ArcMap.
I've played around with the data frame display options and the constraint but nothing seems to work.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
0 Kudos
5 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

You are talking about the first paragraph in this link

Add and modify map frames—Layouts | ArcGIS for Desktop 

then see this link

Work with a map on a layout—Layouts | ArcGIS for Desktop 

0 Kudos
MaribethPrice
Occasional Contributor

I think that the answer is, Pro is just different.  The map view extent and layout extent are purposely separated (which would be required if you had multiple layouts on the same map and wanted different extents.  To update the map extent in the layout, activate the map from within the layout, zoom/center.  When you close the activated map, the layout extent will be set and will not change when you zoom the map.

LizDaRos
Occasional Contributor

Well that is unfortunate. Thank you both for your information!

0 Kudos
ZacharyMiller
New Contributor

I do find it very frustrating that the layout extent apparently cannot be linked to the map extent.  I was looking forward to being able to have all my different figures as separate layouts so I don't need to change headers, sources, etc everytime I want to print a different figure.  I typically have the same 4 or 5 figures for every report, sometimes more. It really is a pain that I have to physically activate the map on each layout and navigate to the same view. It takes way too much time to attempt to match views and scales.

I can understand that sometimes people want different views on different layouts. What's so hard about being able to turn on and off a dynamic link between the map view and layout view?

0 Kudos
DavidWatkins
Esri Contributor

Another option for you to try would be to set bookmarks for the different extents you want to use.  You can zoom to bookmarks for maps in layouts without having to activate the map frame and the bookmarks can be used in map views as well.