Feature Layer from SDE FeatureServer does not show any data

10-26-2016 11:36 AM
JoseSanchez
Occasional Contributor III

Hello everyone,

Configuration:    ArcGIS Server 10.2.2, ArcSDE 10.2.2 using Oracle.

Issue: Feature Layer from SDE does not show any data in FeatureServer ArcGIS Online.

My steps:

- selected editable feature class in ArcSDE 10.2 instance. The layer is versioned,

- created a mxd with only this layer. Shared as Service, checked Feature Access and published it in my local server

- created in ArcGIS Online a Feature Layer pointing to the Feature Server in my local server:

http://[myserver]:6080/arcgis/rest/services/[folder]/[service_name]/FeatureServer/0

After creating the Feature Layer in ArcGIS online, what I do not understand is why my service URL becomes:

http://services.arcgis.com/8Pc9XBTAsYuxx9Ny/ArcGIS/rest/services/[Folder]/FeatureServer/0

I need the Feature Layer to point locally to my server not to services.arcgis.online

How can I do that?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Jose,

After creating the Feature Layer in ArcGIS online, what I do not understand is why my service URL becomes:

So then why are you creating the FeatureLayer in AGOL?

If you want to just use your local server then just just use your local server url.

0 Kudos
JoseSanchez

Hi Robert,

I created a Feature Layer in AGOL pointing to my local FeatureService, but then when I check the Overview tab, for the feature Layer it shows an URL in ArcGIS Online.

I remember that I was able to do that may be to one previous version 10.0, because it created "Feature Layer" but now AGOL creates "Feature Layer (Hosted)".

How do I create a Feature Layer that points to my local layer for editing purposes?

Thanks

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Jose,

If you are adding this FeatureLayer to a Web Map using Map Viewer in AGOL then just click Add layer > from web > and enter your local servers url. Maybe you are not explaining your desired end result or what type of online app you are creating.

0 Kudos
JoseSanchez

Hi,

I am currently testing web editing with AGOL pointing to an SDE feature class.

I tested also the option "Add layer > from web >" but the layer is not editable in this case, and all the set up you can do in a Feature Layer for editing is missing.

I already tested web editing with AGOL in 2014, but then by default AGOL created "Feature Layer" now it creates "Feature Layer (Hosted)"

Steps in AGOL:

- create Feature Layer

- Create Map

- Create WebApp using a template for Edit.

Thanks

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Jose,

If I add a FeatureServer url to my local machine in a web map on AGOL I do not have any issue editing.

0 Kudos
JoseSanchez

Hi Robert,

Is your FeatureServer pointing an SDE Feature Class?  Or are you publishing your data on a FGDB or shape?

Thanks

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Jose,

There is a requirement for the layer to be coming from a SDE Geodatabase for you to even be able to publish a FeatureServer service.

Author feature services—Documentation | ArcGIS for Server 

0 Kudos
JoseSanchez

Hi Robert,

I am using a polygon feature class for testing purposes where the conditions listed in your link apply.

When using a FeatureLayer pointing to a FeatureServer all information relative to the feature class such as symbols, attribute fields is visible and I can change it. But it looks like the feature is empty because the table view is empty and there is no shape in  the map. 

Thanks

0 Kudos
JoseSanchez

Hello again,

I am able to edit the FeatureLayer/FeatureDataset with Web Map. So I think I understand how the whole process works, instead of pointing to my local server it makes a copy of the layer in services.arcgis.com but without records. This is why it is empty.

0 Kudos