LGIM MasterStreetName table, RoadCentreLines and Street feature class

Jump to solution
10-30-2016 11:25 PM
Labels (1)
HassanAkram1
New Contributor

Hello,

I am trying to migrate our roads information and load them into LGIM. However I see that we have a feature class for Roadcentrelines and street separately. And also there is a table for MasterStreetNames which basically stores same information in this context. I am a bit confused about the difference between the three classes and on where to start the loading process like which one of them needs to be filled first. How are they related? If I updated one of them, will the other feature class and tables gets updated too? or the three have to be updated manually every time a road is updated?

Could someone give me some details or point me in the right direction will be much appreciated?

cheers

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

MasterStreetNames is a table, not a feature class.  In the agency I work for it is used to store only street names, and has no spatial context to it.  We use it to verify if a street name exists when adding an address point.

Perhaps you can explain why you have two feature classes pertaining to roads.  Without some idea of your business needs it's difficult to ascertain which direction you should go.

As far as relationships, you need to study the types of relationship classes that are within your LGIM geodatabse;  a composite type has a dependency built into it so if you delete a source feature, the related table rows are deleted also.

That should just about do it....

View solution in original post

4 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

MasterStreetNames is a table, not a feature class.  In the agency I work for it is used to store only street names, and has no spatial context to it.  We use it to verify if a street name exists when adding an address point.

Perhaps you can explain why you have two feature classes pertaining to roads.  Without some idea of your business needs it's difficult to ascertain which direction you should go.

As far as relationships, you need to study the types of relationship classes that are within your LGIM geodatabse;  a composite type has a dependency built into it so if you delete a source feature, the related table rows are deleted also.

HassanAkram3
New Contributor II

Thanks Joe. Actually we do not have any particular needs other than developing the database as per the LGIM schema. Basically what I did was just imported the latest LGIM schema and trying to fill the data we have to the right feature classes. The "street" feature class is already there within the facilitystreets dataset. The RoadsCentreline is there within the Refrence data. Perhaps you could tell me what goes into which feature class?

We do not have any rules or relationships for it yet,just following the esri LGIM schema and the tabkes in it. I hope I could understand more if I just load some data first.

From your answer I think roadcentreline is the one to store locals roads data. What do you guys store in streets then?

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

First off, don't go with the idea that the LGIM is the be all end all data model.  IMHO it's a great template to work with, but it has things in it that I don't need, and is missing somethings that I do need.  The centerlines data model has much more detail with respect to it's attribute table.  The agency that employs me is considering the LGIM for their centerlines; I use the address data model.   However centerlines is managed by another group.  The streets feature class is pretty light weight; not much to it.  Again depending on your business needs, it's up to you to choose the one that works:

Are you going to be using your streets for Geocoding purposes?

Are you going to use your streets to build routes and/or networks?

Are you going to use your streets as the basis of 9-1-1 dispatch?

If you answer yes to one or more of the questions above, the centerlines model is the one you want to pursue.

If all you are going to do is draw lines on a map and label them, the streets data model would probably suffice.

HassanAkram3
New Contributor II

Yes, we have the needs for geocoding and building routes and networks as well. So I guess Centrelines is the way to go here.

Also the apps from esri seems to be using the centrelines featureclass in their maps as well. 

Thats was very helful. Many thanks Joe.

0 Kudos