License checked out for 5 days

Jump to solution
11-07-2016 02:00 PM
deleted-user-t3dSviijg-m9
Occasional Contributor

I believe a user left ArcGIS for Desktop open or left signed in on a computer in one of our Emergency Centers. It has been logged on for 5 days. I know no one is in that room as it was only being used for a training exercise. Do I just simply go into License Server Admin, click View License Usage, Checked Out, select the license type, select the user, and then click "Force Checkin"?

Update: This just re-opens the seat. If the application is open on the client side, it will re-ping the license server and re-take the seat. I just ended up remoting into the machine, closing the application, and logged out the user that left himself logged in.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

My experience with forced check in is it is temporary if they still have Catalog/Map open.  The software will ping the license manager every few minutes, even if it has been forces in or if the connection to the license manager has been dropped. (it may drop extensions ??).

If you really want to block the user from reconnecting, you can create an .opt (options) file and add the user name to the "exclude" list.  You would want this .opt file int he license manager /bin folder.  Then force the check-in, "re-read" the license so it reads the option file.  You can go to the diagnostics tab to verify the .opt file was read.  Then when the software re-pings the license manager it should say it isn't authorized. 

This is in theory.  I use the .opt file successfully to exclude users, but haven't tried it in the "force check-in" workflow I mentioned.

sample ARCGIS.opt file

GROUP dropall username1 username2
GROUP noArcINFO username3
EXCLUDEALL GROUP dropall
EXCLUDE ARC/INFO GROUP noArcINFO

Using the options file—License Manager Guide | ArcGIS for Desktop 

View solution in original post

5 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

what happens?

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

I haven't shut that one down yet because I wanted to see first hand what it is like if a Force-Checkin happens while someone is still actually on the computer. So I have Catalog open, I see myself in the license admin. Select Force-Checkin, I disappear and a license seat is now available. However.... I can still use ArcCatalog to its full capabilities. It shows my seat as available, but I'm clearly still using it. 

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Ahhhh.... it just takes a minute or two. The seat dropped back down and I reappeared. So it won't interrupt user activity if it is being used (it had a minor glitchy thought process for a second). It will reset the seat to available, and if it is still being used it will re-adjust and take the seat off from being available. 

Edit: Spelling

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

My experience with forced check in is it is temporary if they still have Catalog/Map open.  The software will ping the license manager every few minutes, even if it has been forces in or if the connection to the license manager has been dropped. (it may drop extensions ??).

If you really want to block the user from reconnecting, you can create an .opt (options) file and add the user name to the "exclude" list.  You would want this .opt file int he license manager /bin folder.  Then force the check-in, "re-read" the license so it reads the option file.  You can go to the diagnostics tab to verify the .opt file was read.  Then when the software re-pings the license manager it should say it isn't authorized. 

This is in theory.  I use the .opt file successfully to exclude users, but haven't tried it in the "force check-in" workflow I mentioned.

sample ARCGIS.opt file

GROUP dropall username1 username2
GROUP noArcINFO username3
EXCLUDEALL GROUP dropall
EXCLUDE ARC/INFO GROUP noArcINFO

Using the options file—License Manager Guide | ArcGIS for Desktop 

JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Yup...

Open ArcGIS License Server Administrator > Availability. Click "View License Usage" > Checked out > Select the User/License > Click "Force Checkin".

Think Location
0 Kudos