Can you nest multiple subtypes or domains to get finer granularity on a feature description?

11-11-2016 12:47 PM
AlexaRamirez1
New Contributor

I have a sediment grab feature class that I am trying to attach sediment descriptions to in order to comply with the new NOAA CMECS standard. Their descriptions come as a heirarchy of options:

I don't trust the users to accurately select from a large list of domains in each field and make sure that the Subclass, Group, and Subgroup all actually go together. Ie. if each attribute is just an ordinary domain they might choose "Coarse Unconsolidated Substrate," "Sand," and "Gravelly Sand". 

I know I could make the Subclass a subtype with the Group being individual domains for each subtype, but can I take it a step further and filter the Subgroup by the choice of Group? Like a Russian nesting doll?

Tags (1)
3 Replies
deleted-user-t3dSviijg-m9
Occasional Contributor

Did you ever find a solution to this problem?

AdamCommeford
New Contributor III

Also curious if a solution was found

0 Kudos
MichaelKelly
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Alexa,

I'm not sure where your users typically input this data (Desktop, Web or Mobile), but nested subtypes are not technically possible.

Mobile and web wise, you can use Cascading Selects in Survey123.

There may be alternative methods with Collector Aurora in the future via conditional logic and auto-calculated fields, but this has yet to be implemented or released. A similar answer applies to ArcGIS Pro.

Mikie

0 Kudos