Raster Catalog to Dataset Size Increasing

11-18-2016 03:54 PM
StevenGraf1
Occasional Contributor III

I have 18 GB of imagery I loaded into a raster catalog.  When I convert Raster Catalog to Raster Dataset, the file grows tremendously.  It's currently upwards of 200 GB.  Why is this?

-Steven

0 Kudos
8 Replies
CodyBenkelman
Esri Regular Contributor

What version of software are you using?  what tool are you using to do the export?  What spatial resolution are you writing out, and what are the dimensions of the final raster?  Did you specify a NoData value?  

0 Kudos
StevenGraf1

v10.4.  Data is JP2 format.  Raster Catalog to Raster Dataset tool.  NAD83 Rhode Island Ft. No NoData value.  Not sure what you mean dimensions.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

dimensions... probably EW, NS in pixels and/or distance and pixel size, probably more questions relating to destination (gdb type etc), compression, pyramids etc etc

Design methodology for a raster database—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

Creating raster datasets in a geodatabase—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

0 Kudos
StevenGraf1

Entire state of Rhode Island.  1, 1 cell size (1 ft resolution).  The first time i exported it as Esri GRID.  I'm now exporting it as JP2 so its the same as it went into the Raster Catalog.  I guess I don't understand how it takes 18 gbs and turns it into 200 gb.  Is this all due to compression?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Steven, I normally use esri grids myself, but the information on compression might guide you based on your image type etc.  A 10 fold increase is a bit of a surprise unless there is other information also being stored.

Raster compression—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

0 Kudos
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

Leave the imagery in its original jp2 format and create a mosaic. Don't copy or import it anywhere.

But 20Gb to 200Gb does sound crazy.

Recently, on converting ecw to tiff, I found about 2.5 to 3 times expansion.

0 Kudos
StevenGraf1

I need to turn it into a map package.  Will the data be stored in the map package if I just use a mosaic?

0 Kudos
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

Seems to be options to do that, yes.

Might be a bit big though if there is a large amount of rasters.

MapPackage

0 Kudos