Survey123 and ArcGIS

11-20-2016 12:16 PM
PaulBailie
New Contributor

I have a lot of points of interest with their location already set on a layer.  I've brought these into ArcGIS Online (on a Portal account) and can access this layer in Collector in the field.  Each point has a lot of empty attributes that I'll be collecting data for in the field.  Currently using Collector is difficult as the attributes are all listed in a long list.

Can I click on a point in Collector so that it brings me to a Survey123 form where I can enter the attribute data?  Can I fill in part of the form on one point, save edits, close, return to Collector and collect data on a Survey123 form for another point?

I'd be interested in knowing how to use Collector and Survey123 together in this manner.

Thanks

Paul

0 Kudos
8 Replies
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Paul,

Yes, the workflow you're describing is possible. You can leverage the Survey123 custom URL scheme property as part of a point feature's attributes by enabling it in a web map that contains the point features. When you open the web map in Collector for ArcGIS, click on a point to view its pop-up, you could then click the custom URL which would then open Survey123 for ArcGIS - and you could proceed to complete the form.

For more details please see this blog post: https://community.esri.com/groups/survey123/blog/2016/07/30/understanding-survey123s-custom-url-sche... 

(see the Invoking a Custom URL Scheme call from a Web Map section)

Also, please review this help topic: Integrate with other apps—Survey123 for ArcGIS | ArcGIS 

Hope this helps,

0 Kudos
ChristopherMcClain
Occasional Contributor II

You would still need to integrate the data collected with the feature on the back end correct? I mean the data you collect with Survey123 will be collected in a separate data set not within the original feature.  Granted it will can be associated through a relate or join and done either programmatically or manually.  To eliminate additionally backend steps the updates have to occur in collector, correct? 

Chris M

0 Kudos
DerekLaw

Hi Chris,

> ... the data you collect with Survey123 will be collected in a separate data set not within the original feature. 

Correct.

> To eliminate additionally backend steps the updates have to occur in collector, correct? 

Not sure what you mean here, can you please elaborate?

0 Kudos
ChristopherMcClain
Occasional Contributor II

Just that of the ArcGIS data collection apps Collector is the only one capable of updating existing features.

0 Kudos
DerekLaw

Hi Chris,

This is true for now, but we are working on enabling Survey123 for ArcGIS to work with existing features.

Hope this helps,

0 Kudos
PaulBailie
New Contributor

Hi Derek,

Thanks for the details of how to use a custom URL with Survey123.

Do you know when the update to Survey123 to allow it work with existing features will be available?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
DerekLaw

Hi Paul,

We are working on enabling this functionality in 2017, but I can't comment on exactly when.

Hope this helps,

0 Kudos
DerekLaw

Hi Paul,

Please checkout the Survey123 for ArcGIS v2.0 beta, which is now available. It supports editing existing surveys.

https://community.esri.com/groups/survey123/blog/2017/02/24/survey123-for-arcgis-v-20-beta-available 

Hope this helps,