Mapinfo vertical mapper .grd into Arc 10.2.2

11-21-2016 05:24 AM
AndrewHartland
New Contributor

I've a Mapinfo vertical mapper .grd file, the data is taken from a flood model and comprises water depths across a flood plain.  I can read this layer into Arc Map 10.2.2 (as suggested by https://blogs.esri.com/esri/arcgis/2012/04/17/grd-and-grc-files-now-supported-in-arcgis-10-1/) but the layer then appears to be just an image showing the extent of the original raster but without the attached water depths.  All the 'blue' as in figure cells all appear to have the same values for R, G and B.  The while cells all appear to be R = 255, G = 255, B = 0.

I've taken the same .grd file, read it into MapInfo and exported as an ASCII file.  I can then read the ASCII file into Arc Map 10.2.2 and convert using the ascii to raster tool.  If I do this the water depth information is retained.

I presume I'm not correctly reading the .grd file directly into Arc, but have not been able to find instructions on how this is to be done.  Can anyone please set out the steps that I need to take in order to correctly read the .grd file into Arc?

Cheers

Andy

0 Kudos
1 Reply
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

I think you have the correct solution already.

The mapinfo grd image, is just that, an image (raster). It's a picture of the data rather than the data itself.