How can I save my drew features as a layer?

Jump to solution
11-26-2016 11:05 AM
MINZHIYE
New Contributor III

Can I save the drew arrows as a layer?  I drew some arrows on a map. Then I need to make other things on the map that without arrows. However, I need to keep these arrows for later analysis. I don't want to draw them again. How could I keep these arrows as a layer so in the future, I can display or hide them?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

If you are using ArcGIS, there is a process available to convert Graphics to Features.  This would allow you to save the lines for later use. 

However, this process doesn't save the arrowheads, so if you want to show arrowheads you will need to symbolize the lines once you have them as a layer.   Also, you may have to go into editing mode and Flip some of the line segments to make the arrowheads come out in the desired direction.

You can convert graphics you draw on your map into shapefiles or geodatabase feature classes. The Convert Graphics To Features command, which is available from the Drawing menu on the Draw toolbar or by right-clicking a data frame in the table of contents, supports all the graphic types you can draw with the tools in the graphics palette on the Draw toolbar, including circles, curved lines, and freehand lines.

Understanding converting between graphics and features—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

A quick tour of symbols and styles—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

Flipping the direction of a line—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

Chris Donohue, GISP

View solution in original post

4 Replies
AbdullahAnter
Occasional Contributor III

Are your Arrows graphic drew?

or symbology ?

0 Kudos
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

If you are using ArcGIS, there is a process available to convert Graphics to Features.  This would allow you to save the lines for later use. 

However, this process doesn't save the arrowheads, so if you want to show arrowheads you will need to symbolize the lines once you have them as a layer.   Also, you may have to go into editing mode and Flip some of the line segments to make the arrowheads come out in the desired direction.

You can convert graphics you draw on your map into shapefiles or geodatabase feature classes. The Convert Graphics To Features command, which is available from the Drawing menu on the Draw toolbar or by right-clicking a data frame in the table of contents, supports all the graphic types you can draw with the tools in the graphics palette on the Draw toolbar, including circles, curved lines, and freehand lines.

Understanding converting between graphics and features—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

A quick tour of symbols and styles—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

Flipping the direction of a line—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

Chris Donohue, GISP

AbdullahAnter
Occasional Contributor III

If your arrows are symbology , you can save them by Save As Layer File.

If your arrows are graphic drew , you can save them by convert graphics to features.

MINZHIYE
New Contributor III

I can't mark both answers as corrected, but thanks for the reply! 

0 Kudos