Help with several Shortlist issues

Jump to solution
11-28-2016 07:57 AM
JessicaKnight1
New Contributor III

I have been using the Shortlist Story Map and have encountered a few issues which may be bugs.

1) I have one point that shows up on the map but will not show up in the list unless I switch to another tab first. Once I return to that tab, the point shows up in the list. It only seems to be affecting one point and I can't figure out why.

2) I have a set of points and am trying to input some text into the information box. I have an image and a link and am putting the text under the link. In just one of the tabs, after I put in the text and save the application, if I view the application, the text is not showing up. The image and link work fine. A few points keep the text, but the majority seem to keep losing it. Its only in this one tab.

3) At times, I have been essentially locked out from setting points. I will type in an address and when I click "Use this location" nothing happens. Sometimes if I close out of my browser and go back in, it will work again, but not always. Its happened two or three different times.

4) I have also encountered where the application will decide to stack all of my points on one location, despite me setting different locations. This has happened twice. I have to set the locations of all of those points again.

I really like the Shortlist application and am hoping that maybe these things are just some bugs that will be solved in the next update. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Jessica

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Hi Jessica

Sorry about the issues in Story Map Shortlist beta 2.0 and thanks for your patience on this. We are preparing to update the Shortlist app as part of the ArcGIS Online update approx December 13th

Your issue 1 and 2 are bugs we are trying to reproduce. We'll be on the look for those in case we can fix them in the upcoming release. If there are any specific steps or other info that would help us debug please feel free to post here.

Your issues 3 are 4 are bugs we have fixed in the upcoming release. 

Rupert Essinger

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
14 Replies
FelixciaBlanchard2
New Contributor II

Another Issue...

I am using shortlist for the first time today. I think it will be incredibly useful in creating a web project for our local parks. However, I have also come across a few road blocks. I have a web map with several layers from a feature service that I would like to use. I would like to choose the layer I want displayed in the map depending on the tab, however, I am not given the prompt described in the instructions to do this. Initially I thought it was because I am using a feature service but the feature service capability was added in 2015 (Want to use ArcGIS Server Map Services for Shortlist Story Map ).  In reading the tutorial I am under the impression this function should be available: 

0 Kudos
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Hi Felixcia

When you create a Shortlist from a web map containing point data layers that it can import, it will prompt you to see if you want to import them into the Builder.  Here are the situations where it won't recognise your feature service-based point layer(s):

A) If the layers are not drawn in the map at the current map scale (at the time you create your Shortlist from the map) they won't be recognized. So layers that are turned off (unchecked in the Content window) are ignored. So are layers that have a scale visibility range that makes them be not drawn (dimmed in the Content window) at the current map scale. So feature-service based layers have to be drawn in your map to be considered candidates for importing.

B) Sublayers of feature services aren't supported. So in your web map Content window, the layers you want to import have to be top-level entries with their own check boxes. So  layers that aren't listed in your Content window unless you expand a layer entry in the Content window are not considered candidates.

C) It may also be SEIGO (Something Else Is Going On).

Feel free to share the URL of your web map here (if it is publicly shared and not private info you can't share) and we can take a look.

Rupert

0 Kudos
AdamCommeford
New Contributor III

Hi Felixcia, 

I recently had this same issue and was given this response by an ESRI rep:

"You are encountering this issue because you are trying to use a multipart layer. The shortlist application does not support that type of layer. Please convert your point data using the geoprocessing tool Multipart to singlepart. Symbolize it as desired. Then, publish this data as a new service. I am saying new service because this implies a schema change and the overwrite is not recommended. By using the new service in your map, when creating the Shortlist web application, you will now be prompt with the builder."

Hopefully this helps you resolve your issue.

FelixciaBlanchard2
New Contributor II

Adam,

Thank you I think this helped with my issue!

0 Kudos
JessicaKnight1
New Contributor III

Does anyone have any thoughts? Is this something I can fix on my end or are these bugs?

0 Kudos
DavidForbuss1
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Jessica,

I was having a similar problem...I'd add a photo, name it, and it would show up in my edit session, but whenever I'd try to view the app the point would not be there.  I ended up changing the name and for whatever reason that seems to have solved the problem.  

Try changing the place name to something else:

RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Hi David

Sorry about the issue. We'll be on the look out to see if we can reproduce that.

I'll mention the following because it may possibly account for what you are seeing: Remember that the tabs in the Shortlist Builder always shows you all your places (we hope!) irrespective of:

a) the current extent of your web map

b) whether or not they have a name

c) whether or not they have a picture

d) whether or not they are located on the map.

However when you view your Shortlist in the viewer (i.e, as your end users will see it) you won't see:

a) places that are not located in the current extent of your map (unless you are configured your Shortlist using the setting option to always show the places irrespective of the map location)

b) places that don't have a name, a picture and a location on the map. We hide incomplete places in the viewer so that your in-progress places or bad places don't appear/

For example it is possible that you didn't name the place initially. Once it is given a name and you save your Shortlist again it should appear in the viewer.

Rupert

0 Kudos
DavidForbuss1
Occasional Contributor III

Is there any way to "unhide" those places?  We have a shortlist that we've been working on between two people (switching "owner" when the other person wants to edit).  After logging in today and switching the owner to me again, I am missing nearly all of our points on all of the tabs except for the default front page.  I've tried looking at the shortlist webmap and switching the owner back to the other user, but the points are just gone.  Here's the link to what we've been working on: http://arcg.is/2gVppb8 

Any help would be much appreciated!

0 Kudos
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Hi Jessica

Sorry about the issues in Story Map Shortlist beta 2.0 and thanks for your patience on this. We are preparing to update the Shortlist app as part of the ArcGIS Online update approx December 13th

Your issue 1 and 2 are bugs we are trying to reproduce. We'll be on the look for those in case we can fix them in the upcoming release. If there are any specific steps or other info that would help us debug please feel free to post here.

Your issues 3 are 4 are bugs we have fixed in the upcoming release. 

Rupert Essinger

0 Kudos