Will there be a r-bridge-install Python that is NOT beta?

Jump to solution
11-29-2016 07:43 AM
ChristopherQuick
New Contributor II

Hello,

I have few users interested in using the r-bridge-install Python on production environment computers.  We have a firm policy of not allowing beta software to be install ANYWHERE in our production environments.   We have separate environments for application development and for QA/QC purposes also.

Will there every be a r-bridge-install for Python that is not beta? Until then, our user community cannot have access to a something they need/want to perform their work.  We need an actual official release or final version.  Doesn't mean we need or expect ESRI Customer Service to support I, we just need it to not be beta. 

Hope all that makes sense?  Is there an ETA for this to go beyond beta that I can share with our agencies user community?

Thanks. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ShaunWalbridge
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello Christopher Quick‌,

Because the bridge doesn't go through the exhaustive QA process of our deliverable products, we initially labeled it with the word "beta". Since the initial release in 2015, we've fixed a variety of issues in the installer and the bridge library, and I'd consider it fully stable at this point, we've made eleven public facing releases in that time and fixed any reproducible issues we've seen. I should've removed the "beta" text from the website some time ago, but have done so now.

If you do hit any issues with this in deployment, please create an issue on GitHub and we'll be sure to look into it.

Cheers, Shaun

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

It isn't an official esri marketed product but a free to use site

Esri GitHub | Open Source and Example Projects from the Esri Developer Platform with a few smatterings of other old ones on ArcGIS Code Sharing 

Support will be voluntary since it is free

0 Kudos
ChristopherQuick
New Contributor II

Well, I understand that support is voluntary and free which is why I stated "Doesn't mean we need or expect ESRI Customer Service to support I (actually meant "it" not I), we just need it to not be beta."   We have a lot of ESRI tools that are not officially supported but also not called "beta" versions either. 

Most development cycles that I am familiar with are based on having the application in multiple stages:

Alpha Version: First raw cut at code intended to add new functionality or perform bug fixes, not really stable enough even for other developers to check QA/QC or compatibility with their work.

Beta Version:  A version available for testing by knowledgeable people for QA/QC purposes or to check for overlooked bugs and conflicts.  Beta software is sometime made available to outside users to "beta test".

Final Version: The stable version distributed to the expected end-users. It is sometimes called the "stable" version.  Does not mean it is 100% bug free, but suitable for use by most people with no real expected issues.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I suspect that you won't see much movement until more people contact the site and developers directly.  Given the number of pull requests, either it works flawlessly and there are few issues or people are focusing on other software distributions like those related to storymaps, agol, leaflet... of course this conjecture just based on requests, forks and stars on their git site (perhaps a push for a web version may help  )

But for others... have a look-see

Esri GitHub | Open Source and Example Projects from the Esri Developer Platform for a complete list of active and not-so-active projects

ShaunWalbridge
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello Christopher Quick‌,

Because the bridge doesn't go through the exhaustive QA process of our deliverable products, we initially labeled it with the word "beta". Since the initial release in 2015, we've fixed a variety of issues in the installer and the bridge library, and I'd consider it fully stable at this point, we've made eleven public facing releases in that time and fixed any reproducible issues we've seen. I should've removed the "beta" text from the website some time ago, but have done so now.

If you do hit any issues with this in deployment, please create an issue on GitHub and we'll be sure to look into it.

Cheers, Shaun