Public Notification App - basemaps disappear

11-30-2016 09:28 AM
AllenScully
Occasional Contributor III

Working on configuring this app - not using the local gov't data model, but it's mostly all set with our own set up.  Weird behavior though when search for a parcel by parcel ID.

The parcel id is found, and a parcel is highlighted - however the basemaps totally disappear, so you end up with a selected parcel on a totally blank map, the parcel isn't even visible if not for the selection.  

Anyone seen this before?  There is no way other than reloading the application to get the basemaps back.  Everything else works fine - selecting and buffering a parcel is no problem - it's just the search that takes away any basemap.

Thanks - 

Allen

0 Kudos
10 Replies
AllisonMuise1

Allen Scully‌ It sounds like your basemaps don't extend to the zoom level the apps is using to display the parcels. Try adjusting the ZoomLevel parameter value in config.js to a level where your basemaps will draw.

0 Kudos
AllenScully

Thanks Allison -

I've played around changing the zoom scale - no luck.  Even when I zoom in or out after executing the search, no basemap ever appears. 

It also appears that no matter what I set the zoom scale to, the scale/size of the selected parcel looks the same, which is odd (been using private browsing to avoid browser cache issues).

We are using our own cached basemap and imagery - so theoretically it could zoom to a scale we're not cached at.  But given that zooming in/out doesn't change anything, I'm stumped. 

0 Kudos
AllisonMuise1

hmm...

What tiling scheme did you use for your basemaps?

Are there any errors reported in the browser console?

0 Kudos
AllenScully

We're using I think the Google/bing tiling scheme = 1:564 - 1:2,311,162.

The only error in the dev tools is related to access control:  "Access-Control-Allow-Origin' header contains multiple values...

We get this fairly frequently, and usually it's not a problem (sometimes it is, however).

0 Kudos
AllenScully

I'll add that if you leave the page with the high-lighted parcel but no basemaps alone, after about 1 minute an 'unable to perform operation - invalid geometry' error will pop up

0 Kudos
AllenScully

Might be a projection issue - when I search for a neighborhood association, which we have configured for the search, i get a message saying the selected feature is out of the basemap extent.  Don't get that message when searching for parcels for some reason. 

But our basemaps are Web Mercator, whereas our parcel/neighborhood data is in our local State Plane.  Had thought the application would re-project on the fly but doesn't look like that's happening so I'm going to reproject our data into Web Mercator and see what happens. 

Then look at modifying the config.js code to have a spatial reference for our state plane data.

0 Kudos
AllisonMuise1

I think the app should handle the mixed coordinate systems, but I agree that ruling that out is a good place to start. You might also consider calling Support. They'll be able to help you troubleshoot this much better than I can on these forums. They'll also be able to log any bugs found during that process.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Allen-- may I ask what your resolution was regarding the neighborhood association search error message of "Selected feature is out of basemap extent"? Searching online I am getting almost no information, or even reference to the error much less, outside of this posting. I realize it was not your original support question, although curious what it ended up being the issue. I get the same error message only when searching my polygon subdivision layer. Neither parcels nor street centerlines throws any errors. 

0 Kudos
AllenScully

Hi Jared -

This was ultimately a projection issue I think.  Our basemaps are all in Web Mercator, while our data (parcels, neighborhoods etc.) are our local State Plane.  To fix the issue I republished all of the map services (parcelquery, adminareas etc.) with the data frame set to Web Mercator (did not reproject the individual feature classes). 

0 Kudos