How do you create a land ownership index for a map book?

11-30-2016 01:46 PM
BryceGood
New Contributor II

I have a map book created showing Tax Parcel land ownership for my County. I would like to create an index for the back of the book of these land owners and what page their name appears on in the book. Any ideas on how to do this?? I did create the map book using Data Driven Pages so I am guessing that will be part of the solutions. Any help would be wonderful. Thank you!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Hi Bryce,

Have you seen this article on how to make a grid index?

Creating grid index features—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

BryceGood
New Contributor II

Hi Adrian,

Yeah I have seen that documentation. I already have a grid created for the map book. I am now trying to create a Owner Name index for the map book without having to do intense manual labor of typing out owner names, page numbers, etc...

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

You have to enter the arcpy.mapping realm Introduction to arcpy.mapping—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

I don't see anything obvious, unless you have text elements etc... 

class list    Alphabetical list of arcpy.mapping classes—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

function list  Alphabetical list of arcpy.mapping functions—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

BryceGood
New Contributor II

Just for future reference in case anyone else is looking for an answer to my original question. I have been researching and found this documentation that got me the index I wanted.

Creating street name indexes | ArcGIS Blog 

Its for street names but I just replaced the fields so that it corresponded to my land ownership names and grid page numbers.