I am trying to customize the homepage on our portal. I get a "there was a problem" error when trying to upload jpeg background.

12-01-2016 01:59 PM
Price_James
New Contributor

I have tried PNG as well.  Neither image works for custom background on home page, but according to Portal Help it should be fine.  The error message is very generic.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

What is the size (and dimension) of the image?

Configure home page - Portal for ArcGIS

If you want a single, nonrepeating background image, for best results, the image should be 1,920 pixels wide (or smaller if your users are on smaller screens). The website does not resize the image. You can upload a file up to 1 MB in size.

Think Location
Price_James
New Contributor

Thanks for the response.

I have tried JPEGs and PNGs, and all are well under posted size limit a width and just about 40 kB

0 Kudos
CarmelConnolly
Esri Regular Contributor

Have you tried using IE? There's a bug in Chrome and Firefox when trying to upload various things like images/metadata: Announcement: Errors Encountered in ArcGIS for Server and Portal for ArcGIS Web Apps after Certain B... 

Carmel

Price_James
New Contributor

Thanks Carmel!

That must have been the issue, because same images uploaded fine in IE7 vs Chrome.

Much appreciated.

0 Kudos
CarmelConnolly
Esri Regular Contributor

Excellent! I've installed the fix on my Portal 10.4.1 instance and it resolved the issue just fine

Carmel

0 Kudos
TimothyMichael
Occasional Contributor II

Carmel,

I seem to be having the same issue with ArcGIS Enterprise 10.5.1.  I am able to upload a custom banner image, but get an error ("There was a problem uploading your custom background") when trying to upload a custom background image.  The image is a .png that is 420 bytes in size.  I tried to upload the same background image using Chrome, Firefox, IE, and Microsoft Edge, all with the same error.  Do you know if there is a patch coming for 10.5.1 to correct this issue?

Thanks,

Tim

0 Kudos
CarmelConnolly
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Timothy, 

I'm not aware of a 10.5.1 patch - it might be worth submitting the issue to your Technical Support team. 

Are you able to share the image on here and I'll try it in my instance?

Carmel

0 Kudos
TimothyMichael
Occasional Contributor II

Carmel,

Sure, here's a link to the .png that I was trying to upload:

http://tjmpublic.s3.amazonaws.com/bg_gradient1.png 

Thanks!

Tim

0 Kudos
CarmelConnolly
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Tim, 

I uploaded your image and received the same error - but when I saved, the image was applied to my home page (ArcGIS Enterprise 10.5.1/Chrome).

I also created a wider image by multiplying yours and it uploaded fine with no error and gave the same effect on the home page. 

Carmel

0 Kudos