Summary statistic tool,

12-01-2016 07:53 AM
SimonFonji
New Contributor III

Is there an easy way to get rid of fields and modify field names from a summary statistic output table? e.g. when the tool runs it produces fields like OBJECTID (I don't need and I cannot use the delete tool), sum_DPT (I don't need sum at the beginning of the field name).

0 Kudos
9 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

They have to be removed after (it may have references to it which won't be removed until the project is saved or the table is exported to a new one)

There is no way to modify the field names in place but they can be replicated and the old deleted, which is about as fast as the alter field names tool

ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

Some more detail on the options  Dan Patterson  mentioned:

Alter Field—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop Alter Field Geoprocessing Tool

Delete Field—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop Delete Field Geoprocessing Tool

Chris Donohue, GISP

SimonFonji
New Contributor III

Thanks Dan and Chris, The alter field tool works great. It gives me the option to alter the field names. The customer doesn't want to see the object ID field. The delete tool cannot delete object id because it is the unique identifier. Is there a way to hide this field when the output table is created from the summary statistic tool (or do we have a geoprocessing tool that hide fields). I am consuming this table as a geoprocessing service in ArcGIS flex application. Since the output of the summary statistic tool is a table (recordset) and not a feature class (featurerecordset), it does not give me the option of a pop window that would allow me to hide fields or rename fields with aliases. The above responses were very helpful. Thanks a lot.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

So  the problem is that you want to keep it in the Arc*ish environment... hence it needs an ID field of some kind for sure.  As soon as you start mentioning 'service', 'flex', 'web' I will have to defer to those that work in that realm to see if they have a suggestion ... perhaps  rscheitlin‌ or at least I would want to know from the client whether it is a need or a nice (usually it is the latter)

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Simon,

You would have to edit the recordset and remove the unwanted fields in code before you use the recordset in your app. But honestly I have not used flex in two years or more (since it is a retired technology by esri now) so I am not sure how much help I can be.

SimonFonji
New Contributor III

Thanks Dan & Robert, It is just to make the table looks good and they also indicated that other users might know what OBJECT ID is. The geoprocessing widget in Flex produces  the record set as its final product so there is no way I can modify it. I have been using AppBuilder in the past but my current organization uses flex builder because it is easier for them to host all the services in ArcGIS Server without requiring ArcGIS online or Portal for ArcGIS subscription. I also realized the output fields from the resulting table are arranged in alphabetical order which is not what I wanted like the example below. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
SimonFonji
New Contributor III

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Just an FYI, it looks like you AREA field is in square degrees... that may be more of an issue to explain than the id field name

SimonFonji
New Contributor III

Sorry, this is just an example I got from ESRI (ArcGIS Viewer for Flex). It shows the added ID field and how the fields are arranged alphabetically.

0 Kudos