Create Push-Pin Style Points Within ArcMap

12-03-2016 01:38 PM
MH11
by
New Contributor

This is related to the following discussion...

https://community.esri.com/message/651596-represent-two-data-points-in-same-polygon 

In short, I would like to represent data from a source that has multiple points in the same polygon/census tract. If I am not able to represent two data points within the same polygon, I would like to create push-pin style points within the shapefile that represent each data point. I would like to be able to change the color of the push-pin, as needed. Is this plausible? If not, does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can accomplish what I need?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Sharing with https://community.esri.com/community/gis?sr=search&searchId=3038490b-4bf1-4e64-b56f-6ed1e4fcee0e&sea...‌ for broader visibility.

I have read this post and the other one you mention, and I must say I am not clear what you are asking.  From a purely technical perspective, data points are never stored within a polygon (a polygon does have vertices that can be represented by points, but that is a separate issue).  You can have a polygon layer and a point layer, and there can be 0, 1, or more points from the point layer that intersect a polygon in the polygon layer.

If you can elaborate a little more it would be helpful.  Also, if there are any examples you can provide, either screenshots or hyperlinks, that would be helpful for users to actually see what you are asking about.

MH11
by
New Contributor

Thanks for your response. This is my first semester of GIS so please bear with me as I am not sure I used the correct terminology.

I am looking into public school ratings across the borough of Staten Island, NY. In previous projects, I used census tract data to join a dataset to a shapefile. Since there was only one data point related to any one census tract, it was a pretty straightforward 1:1 relationship. As you requested, here are some screenshots. I'll try to walk through my thought process as best as possible.

This is a sample of the school ratings dataset. The CTLabel column is what I added to enable me to join this dataset to the Staten Island shapefile...

Here is the attribute table for the shapefile...

...and the dataset...

After joining my dataset sample to the shapefile using the 1:1 method, the shapefile now looks like this...

Based on the dataset, the 1:1 join picked up the first B rating in census tracts 244.01 and 198 and the first C rating in census tract 11. It did not pick up any other ratings from those three census tracts. As I understand it, and as I read on ESRI's website: How To: Create a one-to-many join in ArcMap 

"For each record in the Main table, if there are multiple matching records in the Other table, only the first matching record from Other is joined."

With this project, it's plausible to have multiple data points (school ratings) within the same census tract. However, it appears the instructions on this page apply to pre-10.4 versions of ArcMap. I attempted to us both the Spatial Join and Make Query Table methods and both did not work for me.