How to create numbered points in a feature class?

12-06-2016 08:07 AM
EthanUnzicker
New Contributor

Essentially, I want to make a "Points of Interest" map where the points are represented with a Numbered symbol. Ideally I would like to create a numbered symbol rather than use some sort of notation or something.

What's the process for doing something like this? Creating multiple point features classes with unique symbology for each seems unnecessarily cumbersome. 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

One way to do this is with symbology and labeling.  First, use a symbol (circle, square, etc.) and set the to correct size/color.  Second, label your symbol using a unique number field (user created), label your point feature class, click placement options and select Place label on top of the point for your Point Settings.  Adjust font/size if needed.  See screen grab below - would this workflow work?

EthanUnzicker
New Contributor

I tried this, however when I publish the service as a layer to add to a web map, the labels do not appear. Did I perhaps miss a step during publishing, or is it not possible to publish labels to my web content?

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Ethan - I share my point feature class as a feature layer in ArcGIS Online.  From there, added it to a new web map.  To add labels, click the ellipse for the web layer, select "Create Labels", format accordingly, and click ok.  Now my labels appear for the feature layer.