Routes going haywire

Jump to solution
12-06-2016 02:30 PM
BrettGovernanti1
New Contributor III

Has anyone ran into NA creating routes that are way off from the available point locations loaded as stops? This occurs more times than not but sometimes NA creates routes that are not out of the area and appear valid. I'm working in a SQL Express geodatabase since we opted not to have a Network Dataset inside of SDE due to version and replication concerns. The topology comes up clean on the streets being used for a simplistic connectivity and overlap with self checks. GP tool was used to add location values to the point feature. The same input parameters are added to the route and vehicle route problem options. However, I'm changing up those values in hopes of seeing differences in the derived route, e.g. impedance as time or impedance as distance, yes or no on U-turns allowed. One key thing is that I am using a sequence field and preserving that sequence by applying this to the 'sort' option when loading locations. NA appears to be honoring this sequence, however, it has the route beginning at a location that is far off from the actual beginning and the first stop. Any ideas on what could be going haywire? I think that the Network Dataset on the SQL Express has corrupted and I've rebuilt it but with the same result.

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor

If the path is not starting from where the stop is located on the map then most likely the stops were loaded in using stale network location fields and not geometry. You can either create a new route layer and when loading locations make sure the Geometry option is checked or you can take the existing route layer and in the NA Window, right-click on the stops and choose Recalculate Location Fields - all. Then solve the route. 

View solution in original post

5 Replies
BrettGovernanti1
New Contributor III

The Monday Vehicle Routing Problem route matches the pickup locations and follows the table sequence. The Tuesday VRP route was configured using the same parameters from the Monday VRP and results in a haywire route with the path running far out into areas with no pickup location. Prior to solving locations were calculated. What would cause results to differ so greatly? Both solutions are based on the same Network dataset using the same parameters and use very similar locations.

Monday route result:

Monday Vehicle Routing result

Tuesday route result:

Tuesday Vehicle Routing result

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

As a personal preference, I avoid using feature data sets with the enterprise (aka SDE) environment at all costs.  They have a terrible reputation for misbehaving. 

I'm not saying that is the specific cause for the NA wonkiness you're seeing, but if I may suggest, create a new network data set in a file gdb to your specifications and see if things settle down to your satisfaction.

That should just about do it....
BrettGovernanti1
New Contributor III

Good idea Joe. Thank you. I was just embarking on that possible solution. I couldn't get why, all things being the same, that NA would choose to go wonky. I recreated the solution on both personal and file geodatabase and got the same spaghetti result. I'm going to try some different options including a different computer in hopes of finding something that fits. If anything else comes to mind, please let me know.

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Check your stops features closely.  I wonder if that went south on you and has an empty geometry in it.  In the fgdb version of it, use the CheckGeometry tool on it and see what it gives you.  Seems really weird that it has worked in the past, and has suddenly flipped out; but you know that already!

Good luck.

That should just about do it....
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor

If the path is not starting from where the stop is located on the map then most likely the stops were loaded in using stale network location fields and not geometry. You can either create a new route layer and when loading locations make sure the Geometry option is checked or you can take the existing route layer and in the NA Window, right-click on the stops and choose Recalculate Location Fields - all. Then solve the route.