Next week the concurrent user license model is going away, what is everyone going to do?

Jump to solution
12-13-2016 03:08 PM
LauraJennings
New Contributor II

Next week ESRI is going to completely phase out their concurrent user licensing model and replace it with a named user license model. So if you upgrade to 10.5, or want to add more licenses to your current batch, then the concurrent licensing completely goes away. This is a huge problem for us because we have 300+ users who are already fighting over 96 floating licenses. 

As a result, we are re-thinking our GIS infrastructure and whether we should develop more of a web-app vs desktop-software environment, and if that web-app environment should be a combination of AGOL & Portal or something else entirely. At this time we heavily use the software Geocortex Essentials for deploying web apps, however I’m not sure if we will continue down this path. We currently have 12 servers deployed for various purposes (Dev/Test/Prod: GeoEvent, Portal, ArcServer, Geocortex) and are trying to optimize our infrastructure as we keep expanding. We are playing with AGOL, but finding it has limitations such as integrating with Active Directory. We've looked into going the Portal route, but for us we are limited to only 100 individual logins for non-public apps so we'd have to consider some options to get around this such as creating a generic login for each department. Maybe that would be the least painful?

We are interested in engaging other cities to share and learn from each others experiences. We would like to learn more about your GIS Server infrastructure, and if ESRI’s license purchasing change will affect you similarly? I’m trying to gather information on what would be best moving forward, and I would really appreciate any advice/insight/previous experiences & pitfalls you may have. Anything at all! 

Edit: FYI the information in this post regarding the concurrent licensing change was relayed to us via our ESRI Rep who was at our office today - Tuesday 12/13/2016. 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobElkins
Esri Contributor

We understand that many Desktop users have concurrent use licensing. I want everyone to know that ArcMap 10.5 and ArcGIS Pro 1.4 support concurrent use licensing.  If you are an existing ArcGIS Desktop customer with concurrent use licenses, you can purchase additional concurrent use licenses as needed.  We also will continue to have single-use licensing for ArcGIS Desktop and the new Term (Subscription) based licensing. 

I encourage everyone to read this recent blog post on the topic and see the ArcGIS Pro licensing help topics for more details on licensing.  If you have business question or licensing questions that might be unique to your organization, please contact your Esri Account Manager.

Thanks,

Rob Elkins

ArcGIS Product Manager

View solution in original post

9 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

You had better have a read here https://community.esri.com/thread/187378-concurrent-licensing-being-phased-out-under-arcgis-105 It looks like there is some clarification needed or some confusion straightened out

LauraJennings
New Contributor II

Thank You for the link! I feel more confused now because I've read conflicting things on ESRI's website, but then our ESRI rep today told us what I wrote in my above post. My guess is their current licensing structure is more fluid than we think and  it will probably change again once the real impact of this update is realized. It's okay for smaller businesses, or massive ones who can afford an ELA, but it can potentially change the entire course of how middle-sized entities implement their enterprise GIS. 

RandyKreuziger
Occasional Contributor III

Laura, I was just going to add the same link that Dan did to another brand new GeoNet discussion just posted.  Can you tell us who gave you that information?

BTW, we are in the same boat as you with concurrent licenses.  But it's my understanding from this year's User Conference that ESRI caved on the named user issue as least when it comes to the Desktop products.  But things do change.

0 Kudos
LauraJennings
New Contributor II

Our ESRI rep came to our office today (Tuesday 12/13/2016) and told us exactly what I wrote in my post above..... so i'm not sure what to think now. Thanks for the link!

0 Kudos
GrantHerbert
Occasional Contributor II

My understanding is that existing concurrent licenses will be honored going forward, but that Esri will not be offering them as a new license after a certain time. Source: Recent Esri partner presentation.

0 Kudos
JoeHeggenstaller
New Contributor III

The way I read this 10.5 License Manager Basics documentation, only ArcGIS Pro or Premium Apps will require the named user sign-on through Portal for ArcGIS. It appears that there will still be an ArcGIS License Manager that will administer your concurrent use licenses for ArcGIS Desktop.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

What we were told today by our reps:

1. As of Jan 1 there will be no more ability to buy concurrent licensing for ArcMap or ArcPro

2. All those with current concurrent licenses in good standing will be grandfathered in....ie they won't go away.  In both Arcmap and ArcPro

3. Any licenses that are currently out of maintenance can be renewed to concurrent standing if done by Dec. 31st and the cost will be one year back maintenance.  

We just heard of this today......12/15/16

0 Kudos
TadSlawecki
New Contributor II

Two weeks doesn't seem like enough time for ESRI to educate us enough about their licensing roadmap (INCLUDING COSTS) to get us to where we can make informed decisions about whether or not to purchase additional concurrent licenses.

Our ESRI rep has offered to stop by to explain where ESRI is going - in January, after I don't have an option to get more concurrent licenses if that's what I believe to be most appropriate. I'll reiterate that I don't know that the future licensing scenarios are going to be terrible, but regardless I am not comfortable not knowing enough soon enough to make informed decisions.

RobElkins
Esri Contributor

We understand that many Desktop users have concurrent use licensing. I want everyone to know that ArcMap 10.5 and ArcGIS Pro 1.4 support concurrent use licensing.  If you are an existing ArcGIS Desktop customer with concurrent use licenses, you can purchase additional concurrent use licenses as needed.  We also will continue to have single-use licensing for ArcGIS Desktop and the new Term (Subscription) based licensing. 

I encourage everyone to read this recent blog post on the topic and see the ArcGIS Pro licensing help topics for more details on licensing.  If you have business question or licensing questions that might be unique to your organization, please contact your Esri Account Manager.

Thanks,

Rob Elkins

ArcGIS Product Manager