ArcGIS Server Question

12-23-2016 04:57 AM
ShaunCondron2
New Contributor

I'm looking to expand my 15 years of arcgis desktop skill set to Arcgis Server. Sadly, the company I currently work for does not have an Arcgis Server. Is there anyway of learning Arcgis server without having it? 

thanks for the time!

Shaun 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
BillChappell
Occasional Contributor II

Packt has some ArcServer books for $5 this week, Esri and http://geospatialtraining.com/  are two companies that could help with training. But getting access to ArcServer software is expensive, Esri EDN has the software for $1,500 but is yearly. A cheap option is to get an Esri Developer account and learn how to use ArcGIS.com to create your own services but it's not ArcServer. ArcServer is mainly a way to server data, and geoprocessing service.

The second option is programming to consume those services, for this the best option is JavaScript, using the ArcGIS JS API or Leaflet JS API, and now the Python Web API. These options are free to use and the web programming skills will enhance your resume. Leaflet is probably the easiest one to get started with and the Esri plugin allows you to use ArcServer services. Also you can take shapefiles and convert them to GeoJSON and use them as a data source. There is a ton of public ArcGIS REST services out there to get you started, Mash this up with some of your own GeoJSON or ArcGIS.com services and you can create some great web maps.

Using ArcServer, GeoJSON, or ArcGIS.com to create data sources is the easy part, Being able to create web map applications and use the data is a far more marketable skill..

JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You could also learn web GIS using ArcGIS Online (Esri Cloud). It is easily available, no extra infrastructure required, learn it from anywhere (internet connection required) and 60 days trial available which is good enough to get you started. You could further extend its capability by using ArcGIS Pro instead of ArcMap (You could use both as well).

ArcGIS Platform | Free Trial - Esri

I would also recommend you to sign up for the free online course Going Places with Spatial Analysis.

Happy Learning!!!

Think Location
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Don't forget the free videos available at Esri Videos | E360 Videos: GIS, Events, ArcGIS Products & Industries    Some are from the tech session from the user conference and other conferences.

Your agency (might be available for personal accounts too?) might have unlimited free access to the e-learning https://www.esri.com/training/    You may have to request access from you Esri license administarer if that is not you.

Also, don't rule out the many videos available just by searching YouTube .  I'm always amazed on what users have provided out there, including videos from various college courses.    

DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Shaun,

Just to add onto the other posts, these 2 links are good places to start:

Hope this helps and happy holidays,