LAS Dataset Point Thinning in ArcGIS Pro not available?

12-22-2016 07:38 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm using a countywide LAS Dataset in an ArcGIS Pro 1.3 local scene and have found the Point Thinning options on the Appearance tab greyed out. I'm able to symbolize the layer and filter points, but I'd like to control the number of points drawn. Could it be related to the layer's caching? The LAS Dataset is to keep the cache between sessions (default, I think). Any help is appreciated.

15 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Point thinning and cache control and lastly las properties Did you try clearing it to see if it makes a difference?

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Clearing the cache didn't activate the thinning options. They are inactive on a single tile las dataset also.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Trying the data in a new project, perhaps moved to a new location as well, is the only thing I can think of offhand

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Any resolution to this guys?  I'm facing the same issue.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

No solution yet. I've updated to ArcGIS 1.4 and nothing changed, even when using a smaller dataset.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

*ArcGIS Pro 1.4

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Too bad - I'm downloading the update right now and was hoping it would solve it!

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

if the issue is due to a bug... which was addressed in ArcMap 10.5 or ArcGIS Pro... there is an 'issues addressed' link in my blog.  If the issue isn't listed, then it either isn't due to a bug, or no one has reported it as a bug, or it hasn't been fixed yet.

/blogs/dan_patterson/2016/05/09/the-links 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks. I don't see the issue in those documents, so I'll go through tech support. My last two tests were to move the las file and try it without constraints (other users I know have reported problems with constraints). Neither fixed the problem.

0 Kudos