calibrate a diagram

12-23-2016 01:07 AM
johnwoollett1
New Contributor II

I am producing a railway diagram to show positions of faults and assets by linear measure. The lengths of line shown on the diagram are not the true lengths of track, but have been distorted for the diagram presentation. How do I get the linear referencing to use the true geographic lengths, which I have in a table, rather than the drawn lengths?  Do I need to do a calibration?

thanks

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

John,

I have done this using linear referencing. You just need to calibrate the routes on your diagram with the measures from your table. When I did this I used the Roads and Highways product. The nice thing about the Roads and Highways data model is it uses calibration points on the route to control the measures on the route. In this case that is super useful because you just update the measures of those points with the measures that you have in your table. Then you can display your faults as events using their measures. I think you could do this with the core tools but you would need to calibrate those routes more manually. Maybe you could put those measures on your routes as attributes and then use those attributes to build your routes.

Tom 

johnwoollett1
New Contributor II

Hi

Thank you for the advice. We have been talking with ESRI here in the UK and I have been looking at the on line training. I would be grateful if you could point out any course that would help with my understanding of calibrating the routes from existing distance/length values. We are looking a linear referencing from a railway asset and work management point of view, rather than actual routing.

Thanks again

John W

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

John,

There are a couple of web courses that cover linear referencing using the core ArcGIS tools. Just go to https://www.esri.com/training/catalog/search/  and search "Linear Referencing".

I found Getting Started with Linear Referencing and Linear Referencing using ArcGIS.

For the Roads and Highways product there is good online documentation. There is also a GeoNet project that is focused on Roads and Highways. We have performed all Roads and Highways training through our services group which usually builds a focused training solution based on your needs and data. Also, don't let the Roads and Highways name fool you, there are people using these Roads and Highways as a Linear Referencing solution for rail.