How to survey features that are very close together?

12-29-2016 06:23 AM
MichaelShaffer
New Contributor II

I want to make an accurate map of the location of some plants in a garden. Is there some system for surveying features that are really close together? I wanted to add each plant to a table and track their growth/spread/decline over time. I can't really use GPS they just show up as a big mass of points.

Thanks

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AbdullahAnter
Occasional Contributor III

What is the area of garden? and What is the garden shape (draw)?

MichaelShaffer
New Contributor II

It's about 50x30ft. It's not really a garden, more of a bamboo grove. I guess I thought it would be interesting to plot the canes in ArcMap and see how long each one lives, etc.

0 Kudos
AbdullahAnter
Occasional Contributor III

You are Ask about how to survey in 50x30 ft area. and GPS not the best solution.

so. If you can fix column or any permanent target  in two corner of garden.

you can measure two distance from plant to 2 corner, then you can draw it in Arcmap from 2 distance intersect (DISTANCE-DISTANCE).

-use the recommended projection for your country. your extent area will not cause a big error .

-Frist Draw corners. you can depend on GPS if you need to get actual coordinates

but you should correct the data with your area dimension ( the distance between corner must to be (30 ft / 50 ft )

-then use Distance - Distance to put your plants coordinates in the right place. 

MichaelShaffer
New Contributor II

Thanks, that will defiinitely work. I just need to put a couple stakes in I guess. I didn't think it would be possible but I guess it is.

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

go to your local hardware store and get some 'welded wire'... it comes in all kinds of gauges and spacing  (even up to 12"x12") .  Just lay it out on the garden and you have the basis for making a raster progression or your garden

0 Kudos