Polygon Boundary Symbology

Jump to solution
01-03-2017 05:40 PM
AndrewBahnsen
New Contributor II

Without editing, converting, creating more data or using colour fill is it possible to display the boundaries of adjacent polygons with different coloured lines based on an attribute by using a display offset or something like that i.e.

If colour fill was to be used:

If colour fill were to be used.

The target condition although was done using graphics and fudging:

Seems like a simple enough request, hope someone has a solution.

Cheers

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AbdullahAnter
Occasional Contributor III

I think you need Representation.

create all layers in Geodatabase and make Representation.

the following link may be help you:

http://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/latest/map/working-with-layers/a-quick-tour-of-cartographic-repr...

View solution in original post

7 Replies
AbdullahAnter
Occasional Contributor III

I think you need Representation.

create all layers in Geodatabase and make Representation.

the following link may be help you:

http://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/latest/map/working-with-layers/a-quick-tour-of-cartographic-repr...

AndrewBahnsen
New Contributor II

Thanks Abdullah, coincidentally I discovered representation last week but no luck. This morning I read more about it and persevered and have come up with a solution so thanks anyway.

Representation its good stuff but I wonder how a geodatabase performs across a WAN when loaded up with it.

Cheers

JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Can you share your solution for others who may have the same need/issue?

From my experience, accessing any type of geodatabase (enterprise, file, personal) over the WAN is a less-than-good idea.  At a minimum, the performance suffers, and in certain situations I have seen it lead to data corruption.

0 Kudos
AndrewBahnsen
New Contributor II

I can share it but how do I do that. Do you mean provide more detail than the discussion has.

Regards

Andrew

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I may have misread your earlier comment.  I thought you found a solution that didn't involve representations, but if that isn't the case, my mistake.

0 Kudos
AndrewBahnsen
New Contributor II

Hi just hoping you can answer this query.

I now have a feature class with several representations but when I add it to Arcmap it defaults to the first representation I created. Is it possible to change the default representation.

Regards

Andrew

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

it may be covered somewhere in the help topics Modifying representation properties—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

0 Kudos