Sorting reports

Jump to solution
01-05-2017 10:22 AM
MikeOnzay
Occasional Contributor III

As reports get added to a crowdsource reporter app is it possible to set the sorting type? It appears the lists sorts by most recent date/time. I would like an option where  I can sort by one or more fields. For example, I would like to sort by status in the list below.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AllisonMuise1

FYI: we are working to add a configuration option to Reporter in the summer release of AGOL that will allow you to specify a field and sort the listed reports in ascending or descending order using the values in that field.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AllisonMuise1

monzay‌ When Reporter loads, your browser should ask you if you'd like to share your location.  If you share your location, the reports list returns the features by order of proximity to the location provided by your browser. The reports are only sorted in the order they were created when your location is not shared.

If your browser does not ask you this question when the app loads, it is likely that you told it to never ask you that question again for this app and you'll need to clear your app URL from that list in your browser settings. For example, in Chrome this setting is under Settings> Advanced Settings>Privacy-Content Settings>Location>Manage Exceptions

In our testing, these were the only two sort options requested, but we are open to suggestions of alternatives. Could you elaborate more on how sorting by a field such as status would help the end users of your Reporter configuration?

0 Kudos
MikeOnzay

My Chrome browser was/is set to the recommended option to "Ask when a site tries to track your physical location". I did add this site to the exception list.

Here is some sample data from the reporter app. We started testing out using these apps internally to track snow issues during events. A use case would be that during an event we have call takers in physically separate locations (a mile apart) who are taking and recording calls from the public or through the radio from staff. Being able to see what others are reporting is helpful. Especially when the public calls multiple times and gets different call takers.

I've set up reporter to show the [status] problem at or near location in the list. I would like to have the option to sort it by status or problem or location. Advanced sorting on multiple fields would be helpful. Actually giving the user that option would be even better because different users look for different things. 

0 Kudos
AllisonMuise1

Thanks for the explanation! Using this app internally I can see how that would help. I'd added your suggestion to our development baacklog. In the meantime, you might be able to configure the search widget to help your workers out. The search is actually configured from the Details page of the map, and can be set to search specific fields for values.

0 Kudos
ChelseaRozek
MVP Regular Contributor

My workaround for this was to separate my point feature service into 3 layers, each filtered to only show one status. I have a Submitted layer, Assigned layer, and Completed layer. Then in the app, I can see the requests sorted by the statuses if I click on the appropriate choice below. Unfortunately, they aren't on the map at the same time, but you can flip between them easily. When a user submits a request, the status field automatically fills out as Submitted, so even if they submit on the Completed Requests map, it will only be seen on the Submit map with the proper status attribute and symbology.

I currently foresee little use for the Find My Location, unless you are a user on a mobile device submitting a report, though the map jumps around a lot between zoom levels when I allow the site to use my location. I also anticipate most of our usage to be internal staff taking calls. 

0 Kudos
AllisonMuise1

FYI: we are working to add a configuration option to Reporter in the summer release of AGOL that will allow you to specify a field and sort the listed reports in ascending or descending order using the values in that field.

0 Kudos
MikeOnzay

Thanks for adding this enhancement!