Electric Utility Methodology?

01-08-2017 10:18 AM
6 Replies
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

I think for starters, the most important question is, what do you want or have to do with that data?

You could create a network dataset and model your data, What is a network dataset?—Help | ArcGIS Desktop , which would require Network Analyst extension, ... using perhaps the dataset "ElectricNetwork.gdb" which can be found within the downloads here: Data Reviewer for Electric Utilities | ArcGIS for Electric 

You could publish the data as services and see which of the solutions (found here: ArcGIS Solutions ) could be configured with the data you have.

An important thing to mention is the upcoming Utility Network. This will be available in Beta in about a week and will require ArcGIS Pro as client. The Utility Network is something completely new. To learn more about it please visit: Esri Utility Network Pro   

NasirFarid
New Contributor II

Thanks for your kind response.

0 Kudos
DerekLaw

Hi Nasir,

Just wanted to post a slight correction to Xander Bakker‌'s post above:

Network datasets are meant for undirected flow network systems, which are NOT applicable for your use case. They are designed to model traffic systems.

Please look into geometric networks, which are designed for directed flow network systems.

As he said, the next generation geometric network is the forthcoming Utility Network, that will work with ArcGIS Pro.

Hope this helps,

NasirFarid
New Contributor II

Thanks for your kind response.
So my next step is to apply Geometric networks.
Is there any helpful material (Sites, Books, Articles, Publications etc) regarding Electric utility, as i searched a lot about it and i didn't find any methodology for it.     

0 Kudos
DerekLaw

Hi Nasir,

> Is there any helpful material (Sites, Books, Articles, Publications etc) regarding Electric utility?

This might be a good place to start, ArcGIS Solutions and here Documentation | ArcGIS for Electric 

Hope this helps,