ArcMap doesn’t recognize new coordinate system which I created

01-09-2017 09:11 AM
rawansaleh1
Occasional Contributor III

Hi All,

I tried to create a new coordinate system in ArcMap which called “PAL”, but the ArcMap doesn’t recognize this system.

For example when I tried to add a mosaic with this coordinate, and then drag and drop another feature class with different coordinate system, the ArcMap doesn’t ask for any transformation. See below

PS: ArcMAP 10.4.1

Do I need other configuration to recognize this new coordinate?

Best,

Rawan

7 Replies
AhmadSALEH1

Rawan,

-the first thing you should try is to do the opposite, try to add the buildings F.C first then add the orthophoto, does it ask for transformation?

-Have you checked if all  rasters that added to the mosaic have a defined coordinate system (known coordinate system)?

best,

Ahmad saleh

0 Kudos
rawansaleh1

Dear Ahmad,

Thanks for  reply.

Yes it ask for a transformation if we do the opposite.

I’m not sure about the rasters I will check them.

Best,

Rawan

0 Kudos
rawansaleh1

Hi Ahmad,

yes all raster have a defined coordinate system.

Best,

0 Kudos
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

You may want to move this thread to Coordinate systems or somewhere.

Might get more visibility then where it is now.

0 Kudos
rawansaleh1

Hi ,

Is the False (easting &northing) effect on the transformation?

For example, when I tried to add feature class, Building_ITM with Isreal_TM Grid, and then drag and drop Building PTI with the new coordinate PTI (which I create) then the ArcMap doesn’t ask for a transformation. See below

Best,

Rawan

0 Kudos
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

There are known bugs with copy/paste and drag/drop and the transformation warning dialog. Is the transformation dialog showing the different GCS? Is your new PAL_ITM projected coordinate system on a different GCS? The screen shots don't show that information.

Melita

0 Kudos
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

After looking at the data extents, did you project the buildings data to the new coordinate system or use the data's property page to change the coordinate system? The latter method updates the metadata only, so the coordinates are still georeferenced to the original coordinate system. 

The Y values of the extent are too small to be in ITM. They look more like Palestine Grid (either using Cassini or TM).

0 Kudos