Electric Utility Data Model

01-09-2017 10:10 AM
TacomaPower
New Contributor

Is there a standard Electric Utility Data Model?
I've looked around and found a few, but they have been last updated in 2010.  Is there anything newer?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
SSMIC3038
Occasional Contributor III

We have been using ArcFM for 16 years, model is still relevant today.

Very detailed asset driven model.

JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

...I've looked around and found a few...

That's thing about standards; there are plenty to choose from...  

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

Well to be truthful there should not be a lot of changes necessary to a base data model for Electric Distribution and or Transmission (I work in both).  However, I have personally found nearly every distribution data model to be overloaded with a lot of extra unnecessary items. Granted there are those who may make use of some of those attributes.  But when you have a basic data model that contains 75 different attributes for a Service Point you end up with a lot of clutter.  Most of my clients eventually want Windmil analysis so I have been using the NISC dm for them.  I also like their data model better than most others.  However, they have not updated their DM since 9.3.  But there has not been a lot of change.

If I ever get back to the EGUG conference I wanted to organized a data model session for the Electric Community.  Get a group of 10 people who have 15 plus years in Electric Distribution and hammer out a good solid all the junk removed data model. 

0 Kudos
dawjweeks
New Contributor

Robert,

Please keep me informed when you hammer out a new base line model. I work for a municipality very small electric company and am trying to set up the system with ARCGIS. I am a Lineman and our department is too small for a GIS position.

Thanks,    

Dale Weeks

usarmy603@gmail.com

0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

Actually what can be more of a determining factor is what software you use to model you electric system.

Most of my clients use NISC for their model so I keep all of their GIS in the NISC datamodel.

0 Kudos