How to create "transportation time areas" for public transit?

01-09-2017 03:24 PM
ToryElmore
New Contributor II

I would like to create a 30-minute "drive time area" (i.e. a polygon representing all of the locations that can be reached within 30 minutes, driving from a given point location), except instead of using "drive time," using "public transit time." Put another way, I'd like to create a polygon representing all of the locations that can be reached within 30 minutes, traveling via public transit, from a given point location. 

My given point location is in Los Angeles, and I have the data for public transit stops and routes, but I'm not entirely certain where to go from here. I assume that I need frequency or schedule data. Any thoughts on where to find that without having to sift through dozens of individual transit schedules? Also, what to do if/when I do attain said data? Other data that I may need? 

0 Kudos
1 Reply
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello, Tory.  This capability is not available out-of-the-box ArcGIS functionality.  However, there is a tool you can download for free from ArcGIS Online that will allow you to do it in ArcMap, Add GTFS to a Network Dataset.  You will need your own street data for your area of interest as well as a GTFS public transit dataset for the transit agency or agencies you care about.  A full set of instructions on how to create your network is included in the download and is also available here.

You can get some further ideas and best practices for analyzing public transit in ArcGIS from this Story Map.