ArcGIS 10.0 wont recognize esri grid format suddenly

01-10-2017 09:31 AM
ClaireMacQueen
New Contributor

Hi All,

I'm looking for some ideas to repair my arcGIS 10.0 (service pack 3, many years behind the times!), has been working reliably for years until recently it will no long recognize any rasters in the ESRI grid format. .tif, .bil open normally with no issues, but the ESRI grid format says 'error: failed to open dataset'. I have many hard drives full of esri grid format files I need to work with. They appear in the file list, just wont open. The files themselves are fine, they open with no issue in QGis.

I assume I have installed some other software that is interfering, but haven't been able to track back what it is. Uninstalled as much as I can from the last 6 months or so as I'm not sure exactly when the problem began. I've reinstalled Arc, thinking that would solve it, but still wont open the rasters.

Wondering if there is some equivalent to this solution from Arc 9 (Bug: Cannot see rasters in ArcGIS 9.1) that I can't find. Not having any luck searching for answers with my out-of-date software. I am running up-to-date Windows 10, hopefully there is no conflict with a system update.

Has anyone ever had something similar occur? Any solution to fix it?

Thanks for any advice,

Claire

0 Kudos
3 Replies
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Do you have the ability to upgrade your GIS software to a more recent version as 10.5 has been out for a few weeks?  Maybe somewhere in the middle, like 10.3.1 at least.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

if were just some grids, I would say that the 'info' folder is either gone or corrupt... but if it is all, then the procedure laid out in the bug report is the recommended route

ClaireMacQueen
New Contributor

Unfortunately, those steps only apply to Arc 9, not 10. I tried to find some equivalent files in 10 but no luck. (Did the steps for 9 anyway just in case, doesn't do anything). I'm at a loss ... !

0 Kudos