Project Showcase

01-12-2017 07:45 AM
DevinLavigne
Occasional Contributor III

I spend a lot of time browsing GeoNet, looking for help and seeing where I can help. I thought what might be missing was a place to share some completed work - showcasing how we are using CityEngine and to gather comments and critique by the group. So I thought I'd start one..... feel free to post thoughts, comments, suggestions etc. or shared your own CityEngine work.

I've recently completed a project for a client - a redevelopment concept for a prominent 80-acre site occupied by an aging and outdated strip commercial site. I think the process I used was somewhat unique. The site plan was roughly sketched out with pen and paper, moving the primary building closer to the street, while reducing parking in favor of additional outlot commercial buildings. Opportunities for taller mixed-use buildings on the west side of the site were also suggested. The sketch plan was drawn out in SketchUp, and a simple 2D plan was color coded. I exported it as a KML and imported it into CityEngine. In CityEngine I simply applied my rules onto the color coded shapes created in SketchUp. 

1. Aerial of the site - 80-acres at a prominent intersection of a regional corridor

2. SketchUp model imported into CityEngine as KML/KMZ

3. Color coding/rule explanation

4. Rules applied and linework on

5. Final CityEngine Exports

7 Replies
DavidKossowsky1
Esri Contributor

This looks great! Did you create a custom rule for parking lot creation? I really like the colours and texturing that you've used in your project to enhance the visualization.

DevinLavigne

The parking rule is custom - it places in paint, islands, cars. There are several start rules - so I can generate an entire parking lot, a module, or just a row.

DuliniRatnayake
New Contributor III

The model looks very nice.I am looking for a parking lot rule,somewhat similar to the one you used for this project.If you don't mind, can you  you share any resources you used for the parking lot rule.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
DevinLavigne

A bit torn on this one - while I'd love to share the rules, they are the product of a lot of time and effort. It gets further complicated by the fact that the work was completed for a client. Sorry.

0 Kudos
DavidWasserman

It is a hard line to walk...

David Wasserman, AICP
0 Kudos
JasonBalmut

Amazing work, Devin!  The colors really pop.  The parking lots tie the entire scene together nicely.

DevinLavigne

That's nice to hear. Thanks for taking the time to post the complement.

0 Kudos