I installed 10.2.2 and need the 'mgisdata' folder to complete my homework. I searched my computer and cannot find it, any idea where it could be?

Jump to solution
01-12-2017 01:23 PM
AustinBonney
New Contributor

I just now installed ArcGIS 10.2.2 for class and the very first exercise requires the data from the 'mgisdata' folder, but I can't find it. I downloaded the ArcTutor data folder, but it is not there either. Where should I look, or how should I get it?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I went down to our Esri Library and checked out the 5th edition of "Mastering GIS" it comes with a disc in the back of the book. I am suspecting the data is on there. If you have newer edition its possible they might state a location where you can download the data in question. If your edition of the book has a preface then there might be a section there detailing how to install the data.

This book is not published by Esri so it is unlikely you would find the data you are looking for on our site. 

View solution in original post

13 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

unless you paid attention during the installation process, I would check your c:\users.... folder probably buried somewhere in there

did you do a search using 'mgisdata' in File Explorer 

AustinBonney
New Contributor

I paid attention to all the instructions I was given. Do you know what downloadable package the mgisdata folder comes in? Maybe I can redownload it, or maybe the name of that .zip was never provided for me in my instructions. I believe the only data I was told to download was the GISTutor folder.

0 Kudos
JayJohnson2
Occasional Contributor

ArcGIS Tutorial Data for Desktop is on the installation DVD, and also in the Downloads section of myESRI.  https://my.esri.com/downloads/

You may have to ask your primary maintenance contact at your organization for access to the download area of myESRI.

0 Kudos
AustinBonney
New Contributor

I have the ESRI Tutoring data, but I'll have a look at that list. Thank you!

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I did a full search on my machine which also has ArcTutor data and it did not return any folder with the name mgisdata. Is it possible that perhaps mgisdata is some data that may have been provided by your professor?

AustinBonney
New Contributor

I am using the book 'Mastering GIS by Maribeth Price' and at the end of chapter one, there are exercises that require me import data from the mgisdata folder. Example: Add Connections -> Click the Look In drop down -> mgisdata -> Oregon...

I don't think my professor provides it. I'll keep looking. I'm wondering if it will be found in another downloadable extension like ArcTutor.

EDIT: On the top of the page (42) it says "Use ArcMap and the mgisdata/Usa folder to answer the following questions..."

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I went down to our Esri Library and checked out the 5th edition of "Mastering GIS" it comes with a disc in the back of the book. I am suspecting the data is on there. If you have newer edition its possible they might state a location where you can download the data in question. If your edition of the book has a preface then there might be a section there detailing how to install the data.

This book is not published by Esri so it is unlikely you would find the data you are looking for on our site. 

AustinBonney
New Contributor

You're probably right. Thank you very much. My textbook is used and does not have that, but I'll get right on the case. Thank you!

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Happy to help!