Adding layer to Scene with ArcGIS Online

Jump to solution
01-13-2017 12:28 AM
JohnSchweisinger3
New Contributor

Hello,

I'm trying to add a layer from my content to a scene with ArcGIS Online. I cant seem to find the layer under add layers. All I can see are other layers (that are not mine) and a add from URL option. Am i missing something? What is the URL of my content? How do I add a layer to my scene? Can it be a shapfile layer package or does it have to be a scene layer?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

You can use hosted feature layers, tile layers, scene layers, elevation layers, map image layers and vector tile layers in the Scene Viewer. When you are logged into your account you will see an edit pencil in the top left hand corner which allows you to add layers into the scene viewer that exist in ArcGIS Online or you can add them from your server through URL. 

Feature collections like map notes, shapefiles and csv layers are currently not supported in the Scene Viewer.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Russ

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
17 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

are you referring to this in 'creating a scene' Choose global or local—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

You can use hosted feature layers, tile layers, scene layers, elevation layers, map image layers and vector tile layers in the Scene Viewer. When you are logged into your account you will see an edit pencil in the top left hand corner which allows you to add layers into the scene viewer that exist in ArcGIS Online or you can add them from your server through URL. 

Feature collections like map notes, shapefiles and csv layers are currently not supported in the Scene Viewer.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Russ

0 Kudos
DuliniRatnayake
New Contributor III

Hi Russell, 

It has to be a hosted scene layer package to add to Scene, but when  I create a scene layer package from CityEngine 2016.0, I cannot add/share to ArcGIS Online my content.I get error messages.

Any thoughts.

Thank you,

Dulini

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

There was a change to the spk and was fixed in 2016.1 scene layer packages.

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Any suggestions when you have more than 2000 features in a HFS?  It will not let me use it in a scene.

I tried scene layers for hours but they never work.  Help seems to be from 1.2 so maybe that is why.

The vector tiles work great but no attributes.  Even just one attribute would be nice.  I can burn in labels but then can not turn them off.  (can not turn the whole layer off either). Map services allowing linking to a FS for attributes - that would be really nice for vector tiles.

thanks for any hints

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Currently the work around would be to publish your layer as a scene layer or divide your layer into multiple other layers. A few questions for you

What type of geometry are you using in the layer?

What is the issue you are seeing with scene layers?

Are you publishing them to ArcGIS Online? 

How are you publishing them?

Thanks

Russ

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

The data is in Web Mercator already.

I can never get it to be called a scene layer on AGO.  Always says feature service.

Yes to AGO using Pro.

Share tab then Web Layer or right click share as web layer.  Also tried layer package.  It says scene layer in the help but I have never seen the word scene on any menu at all.

If I run Create Scene layer package then Pro crashes.  1.3 and 1.4 both crash.

Also tried the publish from hosted layer option but it never gives that option in the AGO page.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Thanks Doug,

If you can send me the data you are using that is crashing Pro that would be great.

If you publish your data as a feature layer (Point or Multipatch) you should see the option on the feature layer item details in AGOL to publish as a scene layer (beta) just like you publish a tile layer from a feature layer in AGOL. This supports WGS84 and any other PCS so you could use your Web Merc scene layer in a global or local scene. In this case you would share your data from Pro as a feature layer first and then go to the feature layer in AGOL to publish the scene layer.

How to Publish Scene Layers in ArcGIS Online | ArcGIS Blog 

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I should have said Web Mercator - it is already.

I will see on sending the data is is a little big and a bit sensitive data.  Its in sde now.

It is not Mutipatch just regular old polygons.  I had forgot to mention that.  I just want the layer to display in scene with attributes.  The layer itself is not 3D.  How do you use a regular large polygon layer in scene?

0 Kudos