How to set the description property of a hosted feature layer?

01-17-2017 02:14 PM
RichardHughes2
Occasional Contributor III

I am creating a widget to support grouping layers in my app (I know that it is not supported, but I need it), and have decided to populate the description of the web layer with the group layer name when publishing from ArcPro.  My widget will read the descriptions from each of the layers in the web map and do it's thing.  

The issue is that the description being set on the hosted web layer is not being set on the feature service within the hosted layer.  The description of the feature service always ends up being the same as the name of the service.  What's the point of having a description property if it is always going to equal the name of the service.  That is redundant info.  It seems to me that this could be a bug.  

Any ideas on how to set the description of a feature service within a hosted feature layer during the publishing process? 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Richard,

Did you ever get this figured out?

Will this be something that should be included in the https://community.esri.com/community/gis/web-gis/web-appbuilder?sr=search&searchId=e18cb289-f198-4e3...‌ place on GeoNet? Or is it something different?

0 Kudos
RichardHughes2
Occasional Contributor III

I thought it appropriate for the ArcGIS Online Developers forum because it is a developer question related to publishing layers to AGOL and using them in a web map.  I've worked around the issue by making a second request for each layer in the web map and getting its parent layer container info.  The description that I created when publishing the layer is on that item after it is published.  Do you develop with AGOL, does this question make sense to you?  

0 Kudos