Issue when saving XML in X-Ray for Geodatabases (2017.1.10) in ArcCatalog 10.5

Jump to solution
01-17-2017 01:37 PM
Labels (1)
LanceCole
MVP Regular Contributor

I just started a new project using X-Ray for Geodatabases in ArcCatalog 10.5.  I export an existing GDB to XML using the "Export GDB to XML Workspace" in X-Ray.  The XML Workspace saves and can be utilized to create a new GDB.  However, if I use the "Save edits to selected XML button" the XML is corrupted. A substantial reduction in the XML file size is noted when saving.  I noticed this while trying to change the coordinate system on the schema but is also occurs if you just hit the SAVE button after creating the XML.  I am using the 2017.1.10 version of X-Ray on ArcCatalog 10.5.

Any possible solutions?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LindsayThomas
Esri Contributor

Lance Cole‌ We have fixed this issue and the new version is available here: http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=9ea218ff575f4a5195e01a2cae03a0ae . Please remember to uninstall your previous version of X-Ray, close ArcCatalog, then install the new version.

Also, thanks for reporting and helping us verify the issue with the previous version. 

-Lindsay

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
LindsayThomas
Esri Contributor

Hi Lance, 

Could you please answer the following questions? This will help us troubleshot the issue.

• What version of Windows are you using?
  • Is the windows version a 32-bit or 64-bit machine? 
  • What version of Microsoft Office is installed?
  • Did you have any older version of x-ray on your machine?
  • Is the XML schema you are starting with Schema Only?

Thanks for reporting, 

Lindsay

0 Kudos
LanceCole
MVP Regular Contributor

- What version of Windows are you using?

Windows 7 Professional, SP1

- Is the windows version a 32-bit or 64-bit machine?

64-bit

- What version of Microsoft Office is installed?

Office Professional 2013 – 15.0.4885.1001

- Did you have any older version of x-ray on your machine?   

Yes, but they were removed prior to installing the new add-on

- Is the XML schema you are starting with Schema Only?

Yes, it is the LocalGovernment.xml directly downloaded from ESRI and dated 6/13/2016

Lance

0 Kudos
LindsayThomas
Esri Contributor

Hi Lance, 

Thanks for the quick reply and details on this issue. 

I think I reproduced your issue. 

Can you verify this is the message you get after completing the following steps?

• Open LocalGovernment.xml
  • Click on a FGDB> Feature Class or Feature Dataset
  • Click Options > Use Spatial Reference
  • Click "Save edits to selected XML button" 
  • Import XML into GDB
  • Then you get the message below

Is this your experience? 

Thanks again for the help,

Lindsay

0 Kudos
LanceCole
MVP Regular Contributor

Yes, That error is received when I select "Import XML Workspace to Selected GDB" 

Please note if you open the XML and directly click Import to the geodatabase there is not an issue.  However, if you open the XML, Press Save, and then click Import to the GDB you will receive the error.  Watching the XML, it changes from 11,592 KB to 7,845 KB when the saved button is clicked.

LindsayThomas
Esri Contributor

Thanks Lance. This helped us validate the issue quickly. We consider this a bug and are working on a fix now.

LindsayThomas
Esri Contributor

Lance Cole‌ We have fixed this issue and the new version is available here: http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=9ea218ff575f4a5195e01a2cae03a0ae . Please remember to uninstall your previous version of X-Ray, close ArcCatalog, then install the new version.

Also, thanks for reporting and helping us verify the issue with the previous version. 

-Lindsay

0 Kudos
KimSundeen1
New Contributor II

Hi LanceCole‌,

I had a similar issue and was calling Esri to help troubleshoot. I had hoped to use X-Ray to more easily view & edit the metadata parameters. The very vague 9-pg documentation implies that I can make metadata edits and import those changes into an existing geodatabase. However, when made those changes (for example, adding a purpose statement for one feature class) in the excel files "DatasetDescriptions.xlsx", no changes were made when I imported the .xml doc.

Do you know if this functionality is available using the XRay tool?

Thanks for your help.

Kim Sundeen

0 Kudos
LanceCole
MVP Regular Contributor

Kim,

Yes, this use to work in previous versions of X-Ray.  I have not been able to get that far with the newest version.  There is an older video demonstrating making a modification to the XML via X-Ray the applying the modified schema to a blank GDB (link below).  To make changes to an existing GDB, I typically export out only the feature class I want to modify to the XML, make the changes using x-ray/excel then apply the revised schema to an existing database using the "Import Using Geoprocessing..." option under the X-Ray menu.

X-Ray is a great tool for working with large or unfamiliar databases.  The new version has a few bugs and hopefully ESRI will quickly get a revision out.

Video link: Introduction-to-X-Ray-for-ArcCatalog

Lance