How to detect/select/identify island polygons

Jump to solution
01-18-2017 01:37 AM
AzimjonSayidov1
New Contributor II

I am generalizing geological maps and as a part of the process I am dealing with "Island Polygons". For that, I first need to identify them or select them.

I already tried: 

Select by Location, by creating another layer from the same layer and used intersect the source layer, which select not only island polygons but polygons which touch the polygon also.

Can anyone suggest any other methods?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

Take the output table from Poly Neighbor and summarise it using Analysis tools / Summary statistics.

For every scr, you can count numbers of nbr. Those where count = 1 are the ones you want.

View solution in original post

11 Replies
FC_Basson
MVP Regular Contributor

You can use the Near tool to find polygons that touch as described in this post: https://community.esri.com/thread/99078 but you need Advanced license level.

0 Kudos
AzimjonSayidov1
New Contributor II

Hello. I did the same thing, though it returns "0" for all NEAR_DIST, which is strange.

0 Kudos
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

Have you looked at the Polygon Neighbour tool, available at all licence levels.

analysis-toolbox/polygon-neighbors

NeilAyres
MVP Alum

An island polygon, if I get your drift, would have only 1 neighbour

AzimjonSayidov1
New Contributor II

Yes, they must have only one neighbor

0 Kudos
FC_Basson
MVP Regular Contributor

Azimjon Sayidov‌ you can join the resulting table to your original feature class with the "Keep only matching records" option to indicate the polygons that touch or share boundaries.

0 Kudos
AzimjonSayidov1
New Contributor II

Yes, it works, but at the same time it gives polygons not only islands but ones which have sharing with 2 or 3 other polygons. It contains more polygons that I need still.

0 Kudos
FC_Basson
MVP Regular Contributor

Ok sorry I did not understand your question like that.

0 Kudos
AzimjonSayidov1
New Contributor II

So, the question is, I need to select only Island polygons which are surrounded only by one polygon. Something like this. 

0 Kudos