Go To XY fails to add callout or point

01-18-2017 03:37 PM
deleted-user-eecV1RPyUfl1
Occasional Contributor

I can't seem to place a point or callout using the Go To XY toolbar. Working in ArcMap Standard 10.2.2.  The toolbar is not grayed out, and all buttons are visible.  Thanks!

Tags (2)
6 Replies
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

If the issue is that the tool is failing to move to the correct location, I'd start by checking that your Data Frame and data layers have a coordinate system.

Also, check the section "Guidelines for specifying coordinates with the Go To XY command" in the tool Help (see link below) for the particulars on how the tool expects the data format to be when entered into the tool.

Using the Go To XY tool—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

If the issue instead is that it does go to the correct location, but you are unable to add a point or callout, we'll need a bit more information.  Is the goal to add a point as a Graphic?  Or add a point as a feature  in a layer?  Also, when you are attempting this, are you in Data View or Layout View?

Chris Donohue, GISP

Occasional Contributor

Thanks Chris. I discovered that only the map I was working in had this issue. Once I opened a different, and less "data-congested" one, I could add points, points and labels, and callouts in both data and layout views without issues. The coordinate format was not the issue.. I could flash, pan and zoom to the point every time. I just couldn't add a graphic callout or point to this particular map.

0 Kudos
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

In the original map, something to check would be to see if any of the Annotation setting(s) are not checked on.  Sometimes these get turned off, which means when graphics are attempted to be added they "disippear", when in fact with this setting unchecked they are getting added but not displayed.  Note that there could be several annotation groups listed here (the example below just has the normal default).  If any of the groups listed here have the checkboxes off, turn the checkbox on and then see if you can then add Graphics.

Chris Donohue, GISP

Occasional Contributor

Thanks Chris, will take a look and post back!

Dan Lambert GISP

0 Kudos
JonathanKelly1
New Contributor

If anyone runs into this scenario, what worked for me (v10.5) was turning my imagery off before adding the labelled point.

0 Kudos
DavidTilman09
New Contributor II

I was having the same problem.  I then noticed that there was a layer in my Table of Contents called "Graphics Layer" and it was unchecked.  When I checked the box, ALL of the Go to XY graphics that I had tried to add were displayed in the Data View.  I am a long time ArcMap user but new to ArcPro.  I'm not sure if the Graphics Layer is added as a default, or only after you add the first graphics layer into the Data View.  Easy solution!

0 Kudos