LAS Data 3D Surface in ArcGIS Pro

01-18-2017 09:05 AM
AndrewRudin1
Occasional Contributor II

Is there some trick to getting LAS (or LAS Dataset) data in ArcGIS Pro to display as a 3D surface in 3D Scene?  In my table of contents the LAS file will appear under "3d Layers" group when I display it as just points and the points appear in 3D as expected, but if I modify the symbology to display it as a surface, then the layer moves down into the "2D Layers" section of the table of contents.  At that point the layer is "flattened" so there is no 3D extrusion for the ground elevation and buildings in the source LAS file.  I'd like to display my las data as a TIN looking solid surface in my scene if that's possible.

Would also like to try publishing that solid surface to ArcGIS Online, but that's another challenge.  I think right now only raster, 3D polygon, 3D point, and 3D point clound are supported as hosted feature types.

Thank you,

Andrew

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
AndrewRudin1
Occasional Contributor II

Forgot to mention, I'm using the new ArcGIS Pro 1.4.

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

To display the LAS as a TIN you will have to use the conversion tool LAS Dataset To TIN 

Just some additoinal info on support scene layer types

3D polygon - 3DObjects generated from multipatch features, can be published to AGOL from slpk or from a hosted feature layer

point - Points will have autothining applied, can supported millions of features, can be published from slpk or from a hosted feature layer

3D point cloud - latest scene layer type, published from Pro 1.4 using the create slpk tool.

Additional scene layer

Integrated Mesh - published from Drone2Map using an slpk generated from the app.