Hello! I ask for a consultation. I Arcgis 10.2 arcview license, I have to use the statistical functions related to the movement of animals (especially deer, which are equipped with radio collar with GPS). To do this, our faunists would like to use a stand

01-19-2017 09:02 AM
SergioFantini
New Contributor II

Hello! I ask for a consultation. I Arcgis 10.2 arcview license, I have to use the statistical functions related to the movement of animals (especially deer, which are equipped with radio collar with GPS). To do this, our faunists would like to use a stand-alone program, GME Geospatial Modeld Environment, which needs both to function R (a sw free statistics) that ArcGIS which should lean on. I went on the site and made the necessary details: http://www.spatialecology.com/gme/gmedownload.htm it seems that programs run well but are NOT able to work with ArcGIS, that is, I expected to see a type of tool (such as the Spatial Analyst Tools), rather it has nothing installed. Or am I not able to see it ??? PS I noticed that a .AVX files in toolboxes put me, which is called "Animalmovment2" but that does not can not run in any way! You know how to give a tip ??? thank you!

0 Kudos
11 Replies
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

.AVX files were used with ArcView 3.x.  I don't know offhand if they can be used in modern ArcGIS versions.

avx - ArcView extension file (ODB format)

source:  FAQ: What are all the file extensions related to ArcView? 

Also, I have heard that the site you downloaded the program from has not been updated lately for recent versions of ArcGIS, as the proprietor is concentrating on other projects.

rastrauch 

Chris Donohue, GISP

SergioFantini
New Contributor II

yes, I know, but the site contains the exact versions of "R" and ArcGIS!

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

(My iPad ate my previous attempt to respond.)

i dont work work with the animal movement analysis as much as I used to, so I'm a bit out of touch. But I know once Hawthorne moved from writing Hawth's tools to GME, there was no longer a toolbar within ArcGIS , but instead used the R interface.  This still rely on the licensing of ArcGIS since he was using tools, and I think it still requires a Spatial Analysis license.  We have had staff still with ArcView 3.x for the animal movement tools, and ArcGIS 9.x for the Hawths tools, just for the ability to use the toolbar.

if I was going to research and run some analysis again right now, I would learn the GME commands

GME | SpatialEcology.Com 

Check out the corridor tools

GIS tools for connectivity, corridor, or habitat modeling - Corridordesign.org 

And another very promising looking site (I haven't looked through it all yet)

Software review - GIS and Animal Space Use   Looks like they mention most I have heard of, and a few I haven't.

SergioFantini
New Contributor II

I have the Spatial Analysis licence! 😞

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

I wonder if GME tools require something higher than an ArcView (basic) license as well....

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

If I remember correctly, it only needed ArcView (basic) not ArcEditor or ArcInfo...but again, I think it needs Spatial Analyst.  But R actually does much of the heavy lifting.   the reason he said he went this direction instead of a toolbox interface within ArcGIS is because it was too hard to maintain the tools as new versions of ArcGIS desktop were released.  By separating it from the GUI, it could continue working.

it doesn't look like he has made modifications to the GME release for a while, so it may be he stopped maintaining/updating it completely.  I did not read thru the entire site.

SergioFantini
New Contributor II

YES IT NEED ONLY Arc View ( I read this on the website)...

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

So, since it isn't being maintained anymore and/or it is a licensing issue, go with Rebecca's solutions once you get the appropriate ArcMap and extensions or you will keep looking for other options Jenness Enterprises - ArcGIS Tools that might or might not work

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Although it doesn't appeared that it has been specifically upgraded for 10.4+, my guess is it should still work just fine for the versions stated, since it isn't really on the ArcGIS GUI, and much on R.  His tools seemed to be well written and reliable (although I am not a biometrician or statistician).