GIS License for Python Script

Jump to solution
01-19-2017 11:06 AM
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

I am running a python script on a physical machine where a concurrent use basic GIS license has been set.  In the python script, I also tell the script to use an ArcView license.  The weird part is that the "Where Have All the Licenses Gone" license tracking application shows that the computer is using an Advanced license.

Does python have the ability to automatically upgrade the GIS license if there is a tool that requires it?

I did not think that python had this ability, so it would just throw an error if it tried to access a tool that the license did not have privileges to use.

Any help or hints on this scenario are greatly appreciated.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

found it...(finally...I knew I had seen something similar)

import arceditor does not set proper license level 

(iPad giving me troubles...ugh)

i think ink the bug was for 10.3.1, but this might be what you are running into

BUG-000084246 - Checking out another license level in Python by default checks out the advanced license level.]

View solution in original post

5 Replies
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

found it...(finally...I knew I had seen something similar)

import arceditor does not set proper license level 

(iPad giving me troubles...ugh)

i think ink the bug was for 10.3.1, but this might be what you are running into

BUG-000084246 - Checking out another license level in Python by default checks out the advanced license level.]

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I would check the 10.5 documentation... is this the section you are working in ?

Installation and licensing

0 Kudos
BlakeTerhune
MVP Regular Contributor

I have not seen Python upgrade the license on its own. Try running something like Near that only works on an Advanced license and you should get an exception. If you verify the install on that computer is using a Basic license with ArcGIS Administrator, monitor the Availability folder in your License Manager when you start ArcMap, and get an exception when running an ArcPy tool that requires an advanced license, the only conclusion I see is that "Where Have All the Licenses Gone" is not reporting the license type correctly.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Rebecca found the original link in the top thread... there is a bug log for it... 

Kudos to Rebecca for trolling for that one... I will replicate the link here from her edited post https://community.esri.com/thread/119004 

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Thank you Rebecca for the great work in finding the thread that talks about the bug I am encountering.  It seems that I missed upgrading a computer from 10.2.2 to 10.3.1 which was running this script.  I guess this bug just arose at the 10.3.x version of ArcGIS for Desktop.

0 Kudos