Can I edit a feature that has related tables?

01-20-2017 10:21 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I NEED to be able to symbolize in some manor the features that my guys are inspecting in the field.  I need to either be able to symbolize via the related table or edit the feature itself as inspected (a yes/no type of field to control symbology) in collector.  Currently you cannot symbolize via related table and if you try to edit the feature (not the related table), collector crashes (with the phrase: "Unfortunately, Collector has stopped"). 

0 Kudos
9 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I should stipulate that I need to do this for one to many relationships.  I use this now in Collector with related tables in a one to one relationship and it does work nicely (I am able to edit the feature class in collector with no bugs/crashes, my field crews love it because it saves them time).

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

It is not possible to symbolize based on a field in the related table. You can add a field to the main feature that can be symbolized. As to why it is crashing, do you have the symbology defined before publishing to ArcGIS Online/Server or do you define the symbology in the ArcGIS Online Web Map?

FAQ: Can I symbolize or label my features based on a related table?  

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I am defining the symbology in the AGOL Web Map.  Really "crashes" is a poor choice of words. there are two problems with the feature class (when dealing with a 1:many relationship):

1). If I try to create a new feature I get a pop up that says Update failed  Updates could not be sent.

2). If I select an existing feature and then press the edit feature "button" I get a pop up that says "Unfortunately, Collector has stopped" and I click OK and collector bounces back to the main menu and I have to refresh it so that the map that I was working on will show up again. 

If I show details and scroll down to the views, I get all the related table entries, and I can even create a new one with no issues...most of the time. Since I posted this I have been in contact via email with a developer and they say that 1:many related tables is not supported at this time.  The 1:1 is working OK, it is not intuitive but with a little tutorial I should be able to get my more technologically inclined people up and running with it.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

So there is no symbology defined in arcmap before publishing, correct? What version of Collector are you using and what type of device are you using Collector on? Are you using services published directly to ArcGIS Online as hosted feature services or to and ArcGIS Server?

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Correct, there is no symbology defined in arcmap before publishing.

Version is 10.4.2 on a Samsung Galaxy Tab E Android 6.0.1 and the service is hosted on Arc server. 

Since I can edit features (as well as tables) in a 1:1 setting and I can access and update the related tables (but not edit features) in a 1:m, I would think that there must be a button or setting I am missing.  I am going to take it apart and rebuild the service and then rebuild and add in the relationship class again.  Based on my emails with the a fore mentioned developer, I had given up on this capability for the time being but now you have me thinking that I may be able to support multiple views.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

That blog is actually how I started down this road. 

For what it is worth, I have looked at the Local Government Information Model's (LGIM) solutions for Sign Inventory and asked the same question. If we can work in related tables 1 to many, then why is the solution there to have a geometry for the sign post and also a geometry for each sign attached to said post; it would seem redundant on the surface. Thus, why I jumped down this proverbial rabbit hole.  I am going to keep up on this work as time permits as I see this as the solution to many of my problems.

0 Kudos
AbdullahAnter
Occasional Contributor III

I think the title of thread not match with context . I'm confusing . you want to symbolize using fields of related table. or crash while you edit feature has related table. 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

As an update, we are now using Survey 123 to conduct our sign inventory and it is working exactly as I had planned out the collector with related tables to work. Since we are collecting all the data for the first time the fact that Survey 123 does not allow for editing existing data is not an issue.  It works pretty efficiently over all and I can attach multiple signs to one sign post and include pictures.  We are still in testing right now but it seems to have great potential.