Oracle Instant Client Install

Jump to solution
01-23-2017 07:37 AM
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Does the ESRI download page include an Oracle Instant Client install?  I seem to recall there was a database support folder (with an Oracle Instant Client download) on the download page some time ago, but I cannot seem to find it now.

If this download does still exist, is it available for both 32 and 64 bit clients?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

You should be installing the 32 bit client if you are trying to connect from Desktop. If you are trying to connect from Pro or Server you need the 64-bit client. I usually install the Oracle full client and run the installer with the default settings.

Instant Client downloads for Windows  - 32 bit client download of the instant client.

From Oracle Site:

The general steps to install Instant Client are:

1. Download the appropriate Instant Client packages for your platform. All installations require the Basic or Basic Lite package.

2. Unzip the packages into a single directory such as "instantclient_12_1".

3. Set your environment's library loading path (for example LD_LIBRARY_PATH on Linux, or PATH on Windows) to the directory created in Step 2.

4. Start your application.

Refer to any detailed instructions on the download page of your platform for more information.

***Update - Best to match the instant client to the exact version of Oracle that you are connecting to.

--- George T.

View solution in original post

11 Replies
George_Thompson

I do not believe that the Oracle client is provided anymore by Esri. I would reach out to your DBA team internally as they should have access to get it from the Oracle site if needed.

https://community.esri.com/groups/geodatabase?sr=search&searchId=0f4b908f-e4a7-46bb-b176-63188a61738...

--- George T.
0 Kudos
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

No, Esri stopped providing Oracle Client setups on the My Esri site. If I remember correctly, it was because it is free and can be downloaded directly from the Oracle site.

Database clients—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

All of the client database drivers that I can think of are free and directly available from the DBMS companies themselves.  It isn't a very strong argument for excluding Oracle downloads, there has to be more behind the story.  Otherwise, they should simply stop providing any client database drivers for download.

0 Kudos
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

True, surely there were some other reasons discussed, which I can't recall right now.

Looking at the 10.5 link of  Database clients—Help | ArcGIS Desktop seems most of the Clients now have to be downloaded from the vendor sites directly.

0 Kudos
George_Thompson

There was something on the Oracle side, if I remember correctly (not an official stance) based on when the removal happened (over 2 years ago), that was causing issues with us providing the client downloads. Esri decided since Oracle provided them, that was the best way to move forward. Also the download from the Oracle site is probably more up-to-date than the ones that were in MyEsri at the time.

--- George T.
0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Has anyone actually downloaded the instant client from the Oracle site.  Since I am working on a 64-bit Windows machine running against an 11.2.0.3.0 database, I tried downloading oracle-instantclient11.2-basiclite-11.2.0.3.0-1.x86_64.rpm file that Oracle provides.  I have never worked with an rpm file so I googled how to use (extract) files and I was directed to 7zip and WinZip and I was able to extract a cpio file but that is a far as I can get.

Can anyone tell me how this Oracle software can be successfully downloaded (It doesn't seem like it should be this difficult)?

0 Kudos
George_Thompson

You should be installing the 32 bit client if you are trying to connect from Desktop. If you are trying to connect from Pro or Server you need the 64-bit client. I usually install the Oracle full client and run the installer with the default settings.

Instant Client downloads for Windows  - 32 bit client download of the instant client.

From Oracle Site:

The general steps to install Instant Client are:

1. Download the appropriate Instant Client packages for your platform. All installations require the Basic or Basic Lite package.

2. Unzip the packages into a single directory such as "instantclient_12_1".

3. Set your environment's library loading path (for example LD_LIBRARY_PATH on Linux, or PATH on Windows) to the directory created in Step 2.

4. Start your application.

Refer to any detailed instructions on the download page of your platform for more information.

***Update - Best to match the instant client to the exact version of Oracle that you are connecting to.

--- George T.
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for this information George.  I thought I was at the correct download location, but it appears I was not.  Pointing the path file to folder I copied the Oracle Instant Client to did the trick.

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

George - would you know the link to get the 64 bit Oracle Instant Client for 12c databases?  I searched the site you provided for Oracle Instant Client 12c 64 bit, but all I get is below which I don't think is correct as it only shows 10g clients (nothing for 11g or 12c).

0 Kudos