IHO Sounding Rounding/Display

01-24-2017 06:53 AM
brianheap2
New Contributor

1 I am required to provide hydrography/bathyemtry (water depth values/chart soundings) to a production element that makes nautical charts.

2. Depth data needs to be displayed/provided in a way that is compliant with the International Hydrographic Organization standard S-4, Item b-412 (sounding rounding). 

3. I have Arc standard ver 10.3, without the maritime solution.

Question 1

How does Arc handle attribute display/truncation? (i.e, at decimal x, does the software round up at 5, round down at 4 at the next decimal place?

Question 2

Is there a template, or a way to set up a template to:

a. display elevation/z values (depth data), rounding up th the next tenth at 0.099, otherwise rounding down?

b. truncate/round data values to the same standard on export?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
CraigGreene
Esri Contributor

I can provide you with a label expression that will truncate values to the decimeter and subscript for S-4 visualization in ArcMap, if that helps. To change your depth values based on specific logic, you can use Calculate Field to apply whatever math you like to the value.

If you have Maritime Charting, it truncates (or rounds, it's configurable to do either) on export. By default, the truncation is to the S-57 standard in terms of precision.

0 Kudos