How do i clip a raster data to produce a smooth edge

01-25-2017 01:19 PM
Kofi_Lartey
New Contributor III

I have clipped a large raster data set but instead of the usual smooth edge , i now have a rough edge. Other clips produce a smooth edge. What should i do to obtain a smooth edge for my clipped data? 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

the smooth edged one is for a much larger area... you just can't see the expected cell layout.  The rough edged one, is for a much smaller area (or much larger cell size) and it is showing what is expected.

Why are you concerned about this? The display of raster cell edges is expected behaviour

Kofi_Lartey
New Contributor III

Dan i think you were right, i had applied what i thought was the solution to a diferetn data set, so you were right. My appologies 

0 Kudos
Kofi_Lartey
New Contributor III

I solved the problem by using the environment settings for the clip to raster tool in arcgis. In the Environment setting i used the the same processing extent as the snap to raster and the problem was solved. Thanks any way for the audience.

0 Kudos
SteveCole
Frequent Contributor

From a strictly visual perspective, you can also change the ressample method for a given raster layer in Arcmap from Nearest Neighbor to Bilinear Interpretation (Layer Properties->Display tab). It won't alter the underlying data but generally makes a more pleasing visual by getting rid of the "pixely" appearance.