Layer to KML

01-26-2017 07:20 AM
AnthonyPratt1
New Contributor

I am having issues with the Layer to KML tool since the recent update to ArcGIS Pro 1.4.  Before I was able to export data with no issues in referencing in Google Earth. Now when i export, it puts the data in an unknown location that I cannot even see it (Near Africa in the ocean when it should be in Colorado).  I have tried changing the projection with no success.  Any ideas? 

Edit: I have attached the layer file below. 

Edit2: Try again!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
19 Replies
KevinHibma
Esri Regular Contributor

We didnt make any changes to the tool that would produce results like that  -- at least that I'm aware of.

Can you either log a tech support case or take a sample of your data, zip it and attach it here and I'll look.

thanks

JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Is the data correctly overlaying in ArcGIS Pro? Try opening a new project and do the task. What is the coordinate system of the layer? And what is the spatial extent of the layer?

Think Location
0 Kudos
AnthonyPratt1
New Contributor

I have attached the layer file above. This layer had no issues not more than a week ago exporting to KML. 

0 Kudos
KevinHibma
Esri Regular Contributor

Anthony, unfortunately a LYRX is just a pointer with symbology information. There is no actual data there.

You'll need to either zip the original GDB (CorteztoMancos.gdb) or run make a layer package with that layer and share that.

0 Kudos
AnthonyPratt1
New Contributor

Sorry about that. Still learning Pro vs. ArcMap.   I have uploaded a layer package. 

0 Kudos
KevinHibma
Esri Regular Contributor

Anthony,

Thanks, I can reproduce what you're saying, but am unsure why it started happening. We're investigating it right now.

I can say that its a problem reprojecting. If you manually reproject your features to WGS84 from NAD 1983 StatePlane Colorado South FIPS 0503 Feet using the Project tool, and then convert that to KML, it'll work.

I'll post back here when we understand more about why this is happening. Thank you for sharing your data.

0 Kudos
AnthonyPratt1
New Contributor

Have you all found a fix for this? I am not running into with the most recent update I cannot use the Layer to KML tool and use unique value symbology. Is there a way for me to roll back my software to 1.3 to avoid all these issues? 

0 Kudos
KevinHibma
Esri Regular Contributor

We identified and have a fix for the projection/conversion problem. It'll be included in the next release of ArcGIS Pro. Thank you for reporting it. My understanding of the issue is it should have been present in previous versions, not something we introduced at 1.4.  Unfortunately for right now, the only work around I can provide is to project the data manually to WGS84 before running the Layer to KML tool. I'm sorry for the inconvenience this has caused you.

Can you explain what you mean by cannot use the tool with unique value symbology? What results are you getting in your output KML?

As for rolling back - no, there is no mechanism to roll back a version. You'd have to uninstall ArcGIS Pro 1.4 and re-install ArcGIS Pro 1.3. 

AnthonyPratt1
New Contributor

I am reprojecting my data and then using unique value symbology to show up in Google Earth a certain way. When I run the layer to KML with the unique values, it crashes. When I run it with simple symbology, it works fine.  

0 Kudos