Where did my LAS Dataset go?

01-27-2017 01:53 PM
KristenMathieu
New Contributor

Hi everyone,

I'm in a bit of a jam because the LAS Dataset that I need to convert to a DSM isn't showing up in ArcMap. While it displays in my Table of Contents, and I can open the Properties up and see that there are valid points there, it will not display in Map View. Trying to Zoom to Layer doesn't do anything, and neither does opening it up in a fresh map. 

Any pointers or help would be greatly appreciated, as this is the first time I'm working with LiDAR hands on, and a rather large project is running on me being able to get this data to work. 

I'm currently running ArcGIS Desktop 10.5, and I have LASTools at my disposal. 

Thanks,
Kristen M

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
IanMurray
Frequent Contributor

Did you bring the .las file directly in, or did you create a LAS Dataset?  Have you made any LAS Dataset Layers, or just the LAS Dataset?  Does it show the red Bounding Box of the LAS Dataset extent?  What percentage of points does it say it is trying to show in the TOC?  Many time if you have too many points in the current extent, ArcMap will be unable to show all the points and shows none at all.  Additionally, have you changed the layer properties at all to subset the points you want to show based on their return values or classification?

Screenshots of your problem will help greatly, I will dig around and see if I have any LAS file around I can do screenshots from if you need examples of anything I mentioned.

0 Kudos
KristenMathieu
New Contributor

Ian, 
I have created a proper LAS Dataset using the Data Management tool, and I have created an LAS Dataset Layer. 

Currently, it doesn't display a percentage of points in the TOC, and I have subset the points to only show ground and buildings. 

las dataset not displaying

0 Kudos
IanMurray
Frequent Contributor

Here is a screenshot for what mine looks like.  Can you check your layer properties and see how many points the dataset says it has? 

Also when you created your LAS Dataset, what was your process for creating it?  I usually create an empty LAS Dataset in the Catalog, then add my .las file to them(Add Files to LAS Dataset Too)l, instead of adding them when I create my LAS Dataset.

0 Kudos
KristenMathieu
New Contributor

Ian,

My dataset has 12,350,993 points in total. I made it in ArcMap using the Create LAS Dataset tool. 

0 Kudos
IanMurray
Frequent Contributor

Have you tried zooming into to smaller area?  In my first example it showed no points because I was zoomed out to far, if you zoom in it will usually show start showing some of your points.  If the points are truly in the dataset, then you should be able to create a DSM from them, even if the points aren't showing on the display.

0 Kudos